The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

oregano

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Oreaca or Areaca Palm| Next thread: Oregano »
Back to Thread index
by ninniwinky on July 05, 2005 10:36 PM
Hello,

I think my oregano is doing well, but it is getting very long, Does oregano flower, and do I eat them too?

Remember I am a beginner LOL!! [Smile]

Ninni
by phoenix on July 05, 2005 10:54 PM
hello ninni,
oregano does indeed flower, i'm not sure if you can eat the flowers. i would think it's o.k. to do that or at least use them as a garnish. i had oregano plants that were quite long as well. grew like crazy too. hope this is helpful.

-
 -
http://photobucket.com/albums/y203/lilpuppolo/
"If you want to talk bollocks and discuss the meaning of life,you're better off downing a bottle of whiskey.That way you're drunk by the time you start to take yourself seriously"
by Elfinone on July 07, 2005 05:11 AM
I always clip the flower buds off, i do nto know if you can eat them or not. But I have always jsut clipped em right off.
[Wink]
by 4Ruddy on July 07, 2005 11:16 AM
If the oregano is getting long...cut it back and dry it! It is a wonderful herb and that will give you plenty to use this fall & winter when you make spaghetti & soups! I cut mine pretty aggressively for drying.

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by ninniwinky on July 07, 2005 09:27 PM
well how long do you guys consider long? my oregano is approximately 6" right now, but they just SHOT UP this past week!!!

Thanks,

Ninni
by Elfinone on July 07, 2005 10:47 PM
depends I think on how big or tall you would like it. I am tryin to get mine re-established in it's new spot so I have been keeping mine at right about 4 inches tall, I just let it go and it got about a foot tall, just clipped it back to 4 inches.
Hope that helps.
[Wink]
by ninniwinky on July 07, 2005 11:27 PM
Wow a foot!!! ok I will wait until about a foot tall and clip it back to 3 or 4"...

Thanks!!
Ninni
by Triss on July 07, 2005 11:44 PM
I keep mine about 6 inches cuz I like it bushy and let one or two shoots flower for seed.

Triss

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Elfinone on July 08, 2005 12:45 AM
ninniwinky, you don't have to wait til it is a foot tall. I just had to due to life's lovely intrusions,lol. But I do keep mine between 4 and 6 inches tall. I keep it at 4 now so I will hopefully get a good root network going.
[Wink]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Oreaca or Areaca Palm| Next thread: Oregano »
Back to Thread index