The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

gum balls

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: guiena hen flowers| Next thread: Gumdrop Garden Cake »
Back to Thread index
by Barry H on October 10, 2004 07:57 PM
We recently purchased a home with mature sugar gum trees on the property, and the prickly gum balls hurt our dog's (and our) feet. Can anyone help with a method to stop the trees from producing these prickly things? Any help would be very welcome!
by Jiffymouse on October 10, 2004 08:21 PM
barry, welcome to the garden helper! there isn't a way to stop the tree from producing the balls, they are the tree's "fruit/seeds"

raking them up and/or using a "pecan roller" is your best bet. but you have lots of sympathy from the folks on here. those things are a pain!
by catlover on October 10, 2004 11:16 PM
Barry....I can definitely relate....I have 26 liquid amber (sweet gum )trees. I rake and rake and rake....Last year I offered my nieces a penny a piece for them...9 & 4 years olds at the time....they picked up $26.00 dollars worth....before they started I told them if they did the job quickly and didn't complain then they would get a tip...so I added another $4.00 to that. Penny a piece doesn't sound much but it adds up quick. I had the youngest one count them out in one bucket so I knew they held 300 little balls....then had her count how many buckets and the oldest one did the math to multiply and figure out how much they were to get paid. Math lessons, quality time, relief on my feet and they made some money all in one afternoon. [thumb] So if you have kids or some neighborhood kids they can surrrrre help....those little hands work fast....and saves our backs. [thumb]
Catlover [kitty] [wayey]

-
 -
 -
by suzydaze on October 12, 2004 06:16 PM
and once they are all picked up sent them to school with the kids for craft projects.

-
 -
I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
by catlover on October 12, 2004 06:52 PM
After you pick them up, dry them to get rid of the bugs before any crafts!

My neighbor where I used to live put some to dry in her oven(very low heat) and when done the whole bottom of her oven was filled with little critters [angel] They are used alot for wreath kind of decorations I guess.

I just put mine in the compost pile and let them decompose. Year before last the trash can got them but I thought that was pretty dumb when I really need compost/mulch!!!
Catlover [wayey]

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: guiena hen flowers| Next thread: Gumdrop Garden Cake »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: