The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

HERB GUIDE

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
« Prev thread: Herb Cuttings Question| Next thread: Herb in box »
Back to Thread index
by Sue Z on March 30, 2005 08:59 PM
Nothing beats the flavor and aroma of freshly cut herbs. They are easy to grow, even in the smallest of gardens or on a window sill. No patience for gardening? The supermarkets carry a large selection of fresh herbs in the produce section. Fresh herbs will add a touch of summer to all your recipes.
KRAFT.

Basil
Fresh basil has a pungent flavor that is very common and popular. Use it in tomato sauces, pesto sauces, vinegar, and with lamb, fish, poultry, pasta, rice, tomatoes and Italian dishes.
Try these recipes:
Grilled Shrimp Italiano | Shells with Tomato & Basil Dip

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parsley
This fresh-flavored herb, slightly green and piny, is more commonly used as a flavoring and as a garnish. Use to flavor grilled meat, poultry, soups, omelets, mashed potatoes, and salads. It may be used in herbal butters and vinegars or as a garnish.
Try these recipes:
Garlic Mashed Potatoes Dijon | Creamy Chicken And Mushrooms

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oregano
This herb has a strong flavor and aroma. Used to flavor tomato sauces, vinegar, omelets, quiche, bread, marinated vegetables, beef, poultry, black beans, and pizza.
Try these recipes:
Roasted Red Pepper Dip | Herbed Onion Marinated Steak

Cilantro
Use in Asian and Mexican cooking or as a garnish. Popular in salsa, guacamole, Thai peanut sauce, enchiladas, and chicken dishes. Cilantro is also called coriander and has a pungent fragrance.
Try these recipes:
Mayonesa Creamy Pico de Gallo Bean Salad | Black Bean Dip | Grilled Chicken with Sassy Citrus Salsa | Chipotle Pork Tenderloin with Plantain And Orange Salsa

Tarragon
This aromatic herb, with narrow, pointed, dark green leaves, is known for its distinctive anise-like flavor. Use to flavor vinegars, herbal butter, shellfish, mayonnaise, sour cream dressing, poultry, turkey, mushrooms, broccoli, and rice. Use the fresh leaves in salads, tartar sauce, and French dressing.
Try these recipes:
Garden Vegetable Dip | Pecan Encrusted Pork with Peaches

Rosemary
Rosemary's silver-green, needle-shaped leaves are highly aromatic and their flavor is one of both lemon and pine. Use for poultry, lamb, veal, pork, and tomato dishes, stews, soups, and vegetables. Also good finely chopped in breads and custards.
Try these recipes:
Herb Crusted Lamb | Roasted Garlic-White Bean Spread

Sage
This slightly bitter and musty-mint tasting herb has narrow, oval, and gray-green leaves. Use in chicken and turkey stuffing and to flavor sausages.
Try these recipes:
Sirloin Steak with Red Onion Relish

Dill
This tangy and pungent flavored herb is known for its feathery green leaves. Use to flavor fish and rice, sprinkle over potatoes and cucumbers and add to sauces and dips.
Try these recipes:
Dill Potato Salad | Veggie Pizza Appetizer

Chives
This mild onion flavor herb has slender, vivid green, and hollow stem. Use as topping for baked potatoes, fish & poultry, and vegetables. It can be used as a substitute for green onions or as a garnish. It is also great in soups and sauces.
Try these recipes:
Herb Dip | Hearty Golden Chowder

Thyme
This herb has pungent minty, light-lemon scent. Use in stews, soups, casseroles, meatloaf, stuffing, marinades, and vegetables.
Try these recipes:
Caribbean Jerk Chicken

Mint
This aromatic herb has a sweet smell and a cool aftertaste. Use to make teas, beverages, and desserts. It can also be used as a garnish. It is also popular in Indian cuisine.
Try these recipes:
Lebanese Lentils & Red Peppers | Savory Gorgonzola Spread

[wayey]

-
"WHEN IN DOUBT ... DON'T"
by tkhooper on April 15, 2005 11:33 AM
Thankyou Sue Z,

This is great. Do you have any information on cilanto or some of the other herbs?

-
 -
by Dixie Angel on April 15, 2005 02:26 PM
Now you've done it, Sue Z! I have no reason not to plant my herb seed now that I know what kind of food I am supposed to use to them with. [Big Grin] [Wink] [Embarrassed]

Dianna

-
 -
by 4Ruddy on April 15, 2005 08:06 PM
My herb garden is my favorite...you are absolutely correct...there is nothing better than using fresh herbs from your garden. I couldn't live without rosemary and basil! I have a new addition this year...sweet fennal. Although I use fennal in cooking I am not sure about the growing part! I have a wonderful recipe for baked turkey with fennal so I am excited that I will be able to use it from my garden.

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Herb Cuttings Question| Next thread: Herb in box »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: