The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Drying Chives Success

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: DRYING BASIL| Next thread: Drying French Tarragon »
Back to Thread index
by tkhooper on November 18, 2005 02:16 AM
Finally after I don't know how many attempts I got dried chives. This time I went with 20 minutes in my low wattage microwave at low temperature setting and it worked!!!!!

The are dry and still green and fragrant perfect. I'm one happy puppy. Thank you to everyone that has put up different drying techniques for me to try. I think I tried most of them before stumbling onto this one and it worked. I'm very happy can you tell? Baked potatoes just aren't right unless they have chives on them. Along with other things of course lol.

-
 -
by 4Ruddy on November 18, 2005 07:48 AM
Good for you TK...I usually just air dry my chives...but I might try this...how low of watts are you talking about your microwave being?

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by tkhooper on November 18, 2005 04:05 PM
700 watts it's one of those 30.00 walmart specials lol. I had no success air drying mine and I tried and I tried. I think maybe coastal Virginia is to humid or something.

-
 -
by 4Ruddy on November 18, 2005 09:15 PM
I think I might have the same microwave...mine is a Sharp...I'll have to turn it around to see what the watts are.

-
 -

by tkhooper on November 19, 2005 01:05 AM
I've got the sunbeam. It's great for the few things I do with it. I used to have a really fancy one but it quit on me so I got this one.

-
 -
by 4Ruddy on November 19, 2005 01:20 AM
I rarely use a microwave either...just every now & then...but I might start trying to dry my herbs in it since I have limited space here!

-
 -

by DeepCreekLake on January 22, 2006 12:26 PM
ever try them in a food dehydrator?
by tkhooper on January 25, 2006 03:55 AM
I haven't decided wether a food dehydrator is a good investment. It would depend on if the food stored that way was good to eat when it was reconstituted. How is it working for you? Where did you find some good recipes that used dehydrated ingredients.

-
 -
by obywan59 on January 25, 2006 04:05 AM
I have a Harvest Savor dehydrator and I like it.
I use it to dry chives and other herbs and red hungarian peppers for paprika. I've also used it to dry tomatoes and apples and the pulp I have left over after straining my hot pepper sauce. Dried onions are great too.

You can dry up to 20 trays at a time. Of course, the more trays, the longer it takes to dry.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by tkhooper on January 25, 2006 07:35 AM
I want to hear more about the paparika and how you make it. Also is it possible to get garlic powder from drying garlic cloves? I just don't want to buy anything that ends up taking up space and that won't pay for itself. It's like canning with a small garden. It's not worth it. I can use all of my harvest fresh. And buying produce for canning is more expensive than buying canned and not doing all the work.

-
 -
by ChristinaC on January 25, 2006 07:49 AM
I'd like to know how much a dehydrator costs. You're gonna' think this is nuts...but I don't even have a microwave. I threw it out when I moved last April...it was junk...I swear it was the first microwave ever made. [Big Grin] I really don't miss it. I'd probably use a dehydrator more often than a microwave.

-
 -
by obywan59 on January 25, 2006 10:36 AM
Tammy, paprika is easy. I just grow one of the Hungarian paprika pepper types. When they turn a dark red, I harvest them and then cut them in half, removing the stems and removing the seeds and white pith, then lay the pepper halves on the dehydrator trays and dry for a couple of days. When they're dry enough, I grind them in my little electric spice grinder.

Christina, I did a search and found 30 or 40 dehydrators on Shopzilla ranging from $35 to $210.

-
Terry

by obywan59 on January 25, 2006 10:45 AM
I've thought about trying to dry my own garlic, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

-
Terry

by tkhooper on January 26, 2006 01:53 AM
If you have any seeds for that type of pepper or if you know where I can buy some I would like to try that. Of course peppers are one of the things I am going to have to grow in pots because they need water and I don't have outside water. I'm not trying to negotiate that slope over and over every day. One fall last year and the attack of the red ants is all I'm willing to deal with.

-
 -
by DeepCreekLake on January 26, 2006 08:06 AM
I use mine for making apple chips, everyone (myself including!) loves them, they dont last long. Food dehydrators are defintly worth the money. Many recipes, and ideas are in the books that come with them.
by tkhooper on January 27, 2006 12:36 AM
Well maybe I'll save up for one of the small ones then. Will you share some of your recipes that call for dehydrated foods down in the recipe section. I'm always looking for those types of recipes.

-
 -
by Amigatec on January 27, 2006 01:24 AM
I have a Nesco I bought from Wal-Mart, it has worked really well. I dried some tomatoes, bell peppers, and all my blackeyed peas, last year.

Drying is sometimes better than canning.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by obywan59 on January 27, 2006 01:31 AM
Tammy, I'm going to be ordering some fresh seeds, hopefully within the week. The place I get them from now has 2 varieties, the one I've been planting, and now a spicy paprika also.

-
Terry

by tkhooper on January 27, 2006 01:38 AM
Well Maybe I'll end up with some seeds that look promising and we can trade for the regular kind. I'm not much for spicy. The gallbladder thing has got me scared I'll tell you. But I'm working on getting better health care so that will improve.

I'll check out the dehydrators at wal-mart the next time I'm there. It sure would save space in my tiny apartment if I could dehydrate some of my veggies. Apple chips sound good too.

-
 -
by obywan59 on January 27, 2006 02:18 PM
Actually, Tammy, I still owe you for the Asian Pear seeds you sent me.

-
Terry

by tkhooper on January 27, 2006 10:39 PM
I sent that to you because you are the only one that has an orchard. Anyway it maybe like apples and it's nothing other than root stock. But you would be the best person to determine that because you know all about that kind of thing. Where I barely know that those kinds of questions can arise. Which is better than last year when I didn't even know that lol. I do have a packet of "Pepsi Cola Sweet Bell Peppers" It's a commercial package I don't know how many are in there. But I could send you some of those. They are suppose to be the color or cola when ripe but be very sweet tasting. Want to trade for some of those. I could give you half of whatever is in the package.

-
 -
by obywan59 on January 28, 2006 12:28 AM
Actually, I think the seeds will be closer to the parent trees rather than the rootstock. The seedlings will be varied though. Like kids. Some kids will resemble the mother. Others the father or perhaps even more closely the grandfather, etc.

Sure, the Pepsi Cola peppers sound interesting.

-
Terry

by tkhooper on January 28, 2006 05:39 AM
Cool I'll send some to you. They will go out in the mail tomorrow unless I get up late lol. It's not a great many seeds as I mentioned somewhere around 20. But I couldn't resist them since I love sweet bell peppers and all I've been finding around here are the kind with very little flavor at all.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: DRYING BASIL| Next thread: Drying French Tarragon »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: