The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Tomatoes & Peppers

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by tkhooper on March 08, 2006 12:40 AM
Here is a picture of the planter I started my tomatoes and peppers in. The tomatoes closest to the camera are the Roma Tomatoes. Then come the Sweet Chocolate Peppers, After that are the cherry tomatoes, the Mixed color peppers and finally the grape tomatoes. I'm so excited that they all came up.

-

-
 -
by johnCT on March 08, 2006 12:50 AM
They're stretching for that light!!LOL. They look great.

John - Zone 6
by tkhooper on March 08, 2006 01:01 AM
Thanks John,

They are set back about 10 inches from the window due to lack of space. And the light is a small full spectrum. So what I've been doing is turning the box every two weeks. It's the only way I can keep them all reasonably happy. But it's almost outside time for the hardening off here so I figure I'm in good shape. Glad I didn't start them any earlier though lol.

-
 -
by detectorbill on March 08, 2006 11:03 AM
good looking plants tk, bet those romas are gonna be good!

I feel more like I do now than I did before I ever felt this way.
by tkhooper on March 08, 2006 09:11 PM
They were last year and I expect to do much better this year. I've been working on their bet to make it healthier. So, they will have just the kind of home they like.

-
 -
by johnCT on March 08, 2006 10:08 PM
TK, what kind of cherry toms are you growing?

John - Zone 6
by DanielNewman007 on March 08, 2006 11:10 PM
"start them early"!!! That's funny. Reminds me of my first attempt at growing toms last year. The seed packet said start them between Feb and April, so almost 1st of Feb, they were in some compost and settled on my windowsill. All looking good, except I then had to wait until mid April before hardening off and planting them. They were over two foot before they went out!!!! LOL :-)

I'll be more patient this year
by weezie13 on March 09, 2006 11:04 AM
quote:
Originally posted by DanielNewman007:
They were over two foot before they went out!!!! LOL :-)

Just remember Daniel, you can zip off a few of
those bottom stems, and plant them deeeeeeeep..
And it'll make a better root system and be sturdier for not tipping over....
**Tomatoes root all along the stem, no matter
how deep you plant them**

*****Tammy, your 'maters are looking good...
Can't see the others too well, but the one's on this side look good. [thumb] [thumb]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by tkhooper on March 09, 2006 08:54 PM
I got a packet of 4 seeds from a friend all it said was cherry tomatoes so I don't know what kind.

Sorry the picture is just of one end. If I try a straight on picture the sun is in the wrong position and I get a black silloutte. I'll try it later in the day and see if I can get the different plants in the planter.

-
 -
by Francine on March 10, 2006 08:20 AM
tammy,

they look absolutely fabulous.i naver heard of chocolate pepper,what is it,me anything chocolate i like ...lol do you still have any to trade.

i m lucky i found your post,i was looking and trying to find a way to ask about what i ve just did today;i ve got exact plastic planters like those you have on the pictures(bought them today at the dollar store )well i ve planted in one of them some lettuce,some shallots and basil.will it be ok inside and when can i start hardning it ,it s presentely - 5 c. and raining.it was a trial i did and now can t wait for someone to tell me if it ll be ok,and can t wait to see the results.

thanks ,

Franny

http://photobucket.com/albums/d23/fv1962/
by tamara on March 10, 2006 08:30 PM
A Cherry tomatoe is a small variety with a range size of a grape to a golf ball. They are sweet and wonderful in salads.

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
Thinking Spring, Thinking Spring...Nope, doesn't work.lol
by tkhooper on March 10, 2006 09:51 PM
Hi Francine,

That chocolate pepper is just because of the color which I guess is something like a cola color and they are suppose to be sweet bell peppers. I've never grown them before so I'm not absolutely sure.

I promise if you remind me at harvest time so set some of the seeds aside for you. I know I won't remember on my own. Although since this is the third future trade I'm made I'm going to start a list.

-
 -
by weezie13 on March 10, 2006 10:49 PM
I grew a bunch of different colored one's..
It was a tough summer, with heat and no rain..
So, I was a bit neglectful in the watering department, they did alright, but probably would have done alot better with regular waterings...

It is so weird to look at the different colors
of peppers..... we even grew the purple one's..
and it takes a bit of courage to eat...
But they taste good!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: