The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Drying French Tarragon

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Drying Chives Success| Next thread: Drying herbs... »
Back to Thread index
by PAR_Gardener on June 21, 2005 11:09 AM
Ok, I started an herb bed last year. I bought some Greek oregano, French tarragon, two different tymes, and some lovage. The tarragon is doing so well that it is shading some of the other plants. I decided that I should cut it and dry it just to give the other plants some more room. I cut all of the stems, bunched them together with rubber bands and hung them to dry under a tree. It has been so hot and dry I thought it would be ok.

I know that I shouldn't keep the tarragon outside. Should I move it into my garage, basement or shed. The shed is hot, but there isn't good air circulation. The garage may be ok since we open it several times a day, and I've cured garlic there with pretty good success. I've got plenty of room in my basement, but I'm afraid that it isn't dry enough there. If I can get my hands on a dehydrator, should I strip the leaves off and dry them in that instead?

Any suggestions? Once I'm done, does anyone want some tarragon. I don't even know what to do with it. I just like to grow things. I do like to cook, but my cooking style is more Chinese. I'm used to using garlic, ginger, green onions, pepper, and hot peppers. These other herbs are new to me.

Composting is more than good for your garden. It's a way of life.
by phoenix on June 23, 2005 01:08 AM
quote:
. I don't even know what to do with it.
hi par gardener.
i use my tarragon to flavor meats and i make tarragon butter and vinegar both very easy to do.
for the vinegar i use just the leaves and regular white vinegar. for the butter i use room temp butter add some fresh or dried tarragon and mix it up and keep it in a tupperware bowl in the fridge. i clip mine,bunch it together,and just let it hang in my kitchen to dry.

-
 -
http://photobucket.com/albums/y203/lilpuppolo/
"If you want to talk bollocks and discuss the meaning of life,you're better off downing a bottle of whiskey.That way you're drunk by the time you start to take yourself seriously"

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Drying Chives Success| Next thread: Drying herbs... »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: