The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Sticky-Goopy stuff

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Sticky substance| Next thread: still clear »
Back to Thread index
by Meg on September 29, 2004 06:29 PM
I took some photos. I found this wierd substance on my Peach tree.
 -

-

-

Any ideas what the frilly heck this is?
Meg

-
 -

I reject your reality, and substitue my own!
My favorite digital camera photos that I took.
My family, garden, and a bunch of misc. photos!
by hisgal2 on September 29, 2004 07:20 PM
I don't know anything about trees, but I did do some looking around on google for you. Here are some links that sound like what is going on with your tree.

Peachtree Borer

Problems with peaches

Hope this helps you.

-
 -

-
by suzydaze on September 29, 2004 08:28 PM
that's tree sap. Don't ask me why it dripps out of the tree sometimes it just does, maybe an insect has made a hole there and the sap oozes out. When it bubbles like that it's making it's self a patch. (a sap band aid)

-
 -
I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
by Meg on September 29, 2004 11:30 PM
I just want to cry. I just know my beautiful tree is probably done for. I can't win against all these bugs! The description of the gummy substance left by the peach tree borers doesn't completely resemble what I have, but some other insect damage does. Either way, it's probably some bug infestation that I can't be sure what to treat it with. *sigh*

Meg

-
 -

by hisgal2 on September 30, 2004 01:51 AM
Maybe there is something you can put on the tree to make the buggies go away??? [dunno]

-
 -

-
by Meg on September 30, 2004 04:14 AM
Yea, I could use diazanon (sp?) or something like that.. and then, I mostly need to get some dormant spray for the surely soon to be dormant time. That's supposed to take care of a lot of stuff.

-
 -

by suzydaze on September 30, 2004 03:11 PM
The tree is a pretty good size it'll probably be okay all on it's own. you can dab some tar or paint on the ozzey spot, but usually the tree fixes it's self.

-
 -
I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
by Meg on September 30, 2004 05:28 PM
Thanks for the reassurance suzydaze. I hope to find some dormant spray so I can spray it well, after it's lost all it's leaves. Hopefully, that'll take care of some of my problems. [thinker]

Meg

-
 -

by suzydaze on October 01, 2004 03:11 PM
Meg, I think you have a peach tree borer

Symptoms of Infestation
One sign of infestation is massive amounts of oozing sap mixed with frass exuding from entrance holes on the trunk at ground level or lower branches of the tree. However, pathogens, mechanical injury, and other insects can also cause similar symptoms. Skins of pupa may be found coming out from the bark of the trunk. The grower will also experience a drop in yield. Branch dieback may also occur. If left untreated, most trees will die.

Here's the rest and how to treat it
http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/fruit/borers/peachtree_borer.htm

-
 -
-Jennifer Unlimited-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Sticky substance| Next thread: still clear »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: