The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

New gardener - soil prep question

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: New garden pics!| Next thread: New Gardener's ?sss »
Back to Thread index
by vo2macs on February 26, 2006 03:13 AM
I just bought a home in Kingston, TN with a large garden plot. I have never gardened. The plot is overgrown with weeds and whatever is left over from the last homeowners garden. The vegetation is thick and about four to eight inches high. I was not able to plow under in the fall. I want to get started planting. What do I do to get the soil ready now?
by johnCT on February 26, 2006 03:31 AM
Your best bet would probably be to till the vegetation into the soil along with maybe some compost or manure or some other soil amendment. I would think if the plot was already used as a veggie garden, the soil must already be decent to start with. [thumb]

John - Zone 6
by Amigatec on February 26, 2006 05:09 AM
I would use your lawnmower first, if it has a mulch attachment that would be great. Then after it sits for a week or so, till it all under.

JohnCT is probably correct about it having a good amount of good stuff in it, if a garden is done right it gets better each year.

I started a new spot last year, and have just finished adding 6' to 8' of compost to it. It should be even better this year.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by weezie13 on February 26, 2006 05:39 AM
For me, if it's really tall..
I will take the weed whacker first, whack it all off,
seed pods mostly is my concern....
I rake off that stuff so the weed seed pods can't get more into the soil...

Then I do the lawn mower, and try to bag up the shredds...
And this is me again, so just take it as different approaches to suit what you are comfortable with..and I am organic, so..

I put down big sheets of carboard.....
which kills the weeds, blocks out sun so they can't grow, blocks out sun and air so seeds can't germenate and I leave it.. ideally I start in the fall, so the winter time it has the whole time to lay flat against the soil.
*and keep the cardboard wet, it kills stuff under it better when tight to the ground..

after it's been on so long, I just plant the bed on top of it, it will render down and will be worm food..

You could also, take a long, large sheet of clear plastic and put that, taunt, over the top of the entire area you want to use..
And let the sun bake the weeds too, after you lawn mower them.. it'll cook all that's there, some weed seeds anddddddd some bad bugs/disease' in the soil..
Leave it on for several weeks, this is called solarizing the soil..
**Will also warm up the bed for earlier planting too..**

Also, (Food for thought [thinker] for this time or another time, once you have your soil prepared and you want to keep it weed free and not let it go fallow, like over winter, *fallow means unused*
grow something like a cover crop like winter rye or a red clover or a legume of some sort and then rototill THAT into the soil and it will be a green manure crop for you and add nutrition into the soil.. but you have to do that, the tilling in process several weeks before you intend to plant...cause it will be breaking down, and you don't want plants in there trying to grow when somethings' breaking down, because that will steal nitrogen... but if you do it several weeks in advance and give it time work, then you'll be all set.)

Then like John said,
quote:
maybe some compost or manure or some other soil amendment.
That's great advice.. all the good stuff to put in to the soil and make it healthier...

Hope I haven't confused you..if there's a step I seemed to not explain fully, let me know, always willing to repost again...
not a problem at allllllll...
Love helping new gardeners here..

So ask as many questions as you need, we're always here to help....

Whatchya planting??????? [critic] [thumb] [flower] [Cool] [thumb] [thumb] [flower]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by peppereater on February 26, 2006 06:08 AM
Hi, welcome to the forum. I saw this post earlier, but I waited to post because I would have written a 2,000 word essay! I thought it best to get some ideas out there first, then add my 2 cents.
Anything you recognize as a weed, try and pull it up and get rid of it or throw it in a compost pile. Tall vegetation will tangle in a rototiller, so yes, chop it up somehow before you till. Solarize the areas you're not using, use them as you need. Weezie's cardboard thing is great. Try not to do TOO MUCH this year...I always do, and always have weeds run rampant, but I still get lots to eat and have great fun! All of the above advice is great, from the other members, anything you till in that's not weed seed or bermuda grass will just add to the soil, and compost, manure etc is great. If you do add manure, don't plant that area for at least a few weeks.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by peppereater on February 26, 2006 06:10 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Amigatec:

I started a new spot last year, and have just finished adding 6' to 8' of compost to it. It should be even better this year.

I thought I'd rib you a little here, Pat! Wow, 6 to 8 FEET of compost! That's a lot!

-
Dave
by weezie13 on February 26, 2006 06:43 AM
quote:
because I would have written a 2,000 word essay!
yeah, I know exactly [Embarrassed] what you mean [Wink] [Big Grin] [thumb] [gabby] [gabby] [Embarrassed]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by weezie13 on February 26, 2006 06:44 AM
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink] [thumb]
quote:
6' to 8' of compost to it
Gives a whole new meaning to "Raised Beds"!!!

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by peppereater on February 26, 2006 08:35 AM
quote:
Originally posted by weezie13:
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink] [thumb]

Gives a whole new meaning to "Raised Beds"!!!

I'd be happy with 4 feet, or even 3. I wouldn't have to bend over anymore! [Big Grin]
Okay, Weezie and I will behave now. NOT! [Big Grin]

-
Dave
by weezie13 on February 26, 2006 11:52 AM
I'd have to pole vault up to even get to my
garden at that height.

Okay, knock it off Norman, you're going to
get me in a "heap" of trouble... [Wink] [thumb]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Amigatec on February 26, 2006 08:09 PM
quote:
Originally posted by peppereater:
quote:
Originally posted by Amigatec:

I thought I'd rib you a little here, Pat! Wow, 6 to 8 FEET of compost! That's a lot!

Oooooppsss! I meant 6 to 8 INCHES.

-
 -
by weezie13 on February 26, 2006 10:01 PM
Pat, We were havin' "loads" of fun with that... [kissies] [kissies]

But wouldn't it be greatttttttttt if you really could have that much compost and manure???
I would be in heaven.. [grin] [Cool] [thumb]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Greenthumb newbee on March 07, 2006 02:47 PM
Weezie 13

I do most years being I`m on an acre of land with over 30 trees around my property so I have TONS of leaves to compost not to mention all the WOOD chips among other organic stuff so YEA i`ve got it. Did I mention that since there are 7 wallnut,2 hickory and a buckeye tree that produce more nuts then I`ll ever eat in a year.

The wallnuts alone filled up a full sized pickup.
Hickory nuts i`d say at least a couple of bushells and the buckeye at least a bushell. Oh I forgot about all the pine cones with over 20 pine trees. Wanna trade???

It`s like living at a camp ground site.
by tkhooper on March 07, 2006 09:30 PM
So what can I trade for someof the nuts. Chippy and I love nuts. Chippy is my signature chipmonk.

-
 -
by Amigatec on March 08, 2006 01:14 AM
quote:
Originally posted by weezie13:
Pat, We were havin' "loads" of fun with that... [kissies] [kissies]

But wouldn't it be greatttttttttt if you really could have that much compost and manure???
I would be in heaven.. [grin] [Cool] [thumb]

I got tired enough shoveling the compost I did shovel, if I had that much I would have to rent a bulldozer just to push it around!!

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
by weezie13 on March 08, 2006 10:54 AM
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] I believe it!!!!

Weezie

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: New garden pics!| Next thread: New Gardener's ?sss »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: