The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

earwigs on mums!!!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Earwigs!| Next thread: easiest ever fudge »
Back to Thread index
by hisgal2 on September 27, 2004 04:33 PM
Lastnight we came home late from dinner and saw that there were a few earwigs on my rusty mum that I have in the step basket on the front porch. They were eating my mum, I think! What can I do so that they don't eat them!! The mum is so full that I can't tell if they are living in the pot now or if they just stop in for dinner at night! Help!!

-
 -

-
by suzydaze on September 30, 2004 08:12 PM
hey I saw on opne of those gardening shows how you make an earwig trap

you take a small plastic soda pop bottle and cut the top off (like 3/4 down) (bout where the label starts take the lable off though wash it out too, want it clean and dry) then take can cat food and put a spoon full in the bottom of the soda bottle, now take the top piece and turn upside down on it where you just cut it off (like a funnel) tape togather and place trap in with you plants on the ground (lay it down side ways). Earwigs get in but can't get out, before long your earwig population will decrease.

-
 -
I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
by suzydaze on September 30, 2004 08:25 PM
I did a search and found it

Trap earwigs.

Earwigs come out at night to chew ugly holes in Brugmansia leaves and eat the petals right off your dahlias. They move too fast to use "el kabatski" on them. Instead, catch them with "Ciscoe's guaranteed, or your money back" earwig trap. To make one, you will need an empty 12-ounce plastic water bottle (without lid), cellophane tape, a bit of yarn, scissors and some canned tuna cat food. Cut off the top third of the bottle. Place a blop ( 1/2 teaspoon) of cat food in the bottom of the bottle. Take the piece that you cut off, invert it, and stick it into the top of the bottle. Note that the part you drank from is now facing downward toward the cat food at the bottom. Tape the inverted top to secure it to the bottle. Finally, tape the yarn on the bottle to form a loop so that you can hang the trap on your plant. The little devils can't resist tuna cat food and will enter the trap during the night, only to discover they can't get out in the morning. You'll have to figure out what to do with the earwigs you catch. You'll also be busy shooing away all of the neighbors' cats!

-
 -
I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
by suzydaze on September 30, 2004 08:26 PM
here's another one
http://www.raw-connections.com/garden/maint/bugs/earwig.htm

-
 -
-Jennifer Unlimited-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Earwigs!| Next thread: easiest ever fudge »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: