The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Blueberries and birds

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Bluebell Question?| Next thread: blueberries are coming »
Back to Thread index
by flower66 on February 25, 2006 03:43 AM
Has anyone ever grown blueberry bushes and not had a problem with birds eating most of them? I'm thinking of getting a couple, but don't know if it will be worth the trouble. Thanks
by Dixie Angel on February 25, 2006 05:54 AM
Hello, flower! I'm sorry to report that I can't help you with your question. I am still trying to figure out why mine aren't growing.

I bought two, three years ago, planted them and they have not done a thing. They are still rather small.

For protecting them against birds, though, I would recommend putting nets over them. That's what my father-in-law does...

Anyway, I thought I would bump your question up to the top so maybe someone else could help you...

Dianna

-
 -
by DeepCreekLake on February 25, 2006 06:55 AM
If it isnt birds, its black bears. My brother and his wife have a few blueberries bushes that produce well. They covered the bushes with bird netting to keep the birds off.. it worked well, but black bears kept comming at night to ravage the bushes, and ripped the netting off!
by Bestofour on February 25, 2006 12:11 PM
Dixie, I planted a couple several years ago and they haven't grown much either. I get a few handfuls of berries but that's all. I've been wonderinnng if the deers are eating the leaves. I don't think we have bears around here. [shocked] at least I hope not.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by Dixie Angel on February 25, 2006 01:24 PM
Thanks, Sheri. I was wondering if it was because of this old clay mud that we have here that we planted them in. We amended them some with organic matter, but they are still wee, little things...

I don't believe any bears are in that area. I think the mountain folk might have some trouble with them, though...

Flower66, from what I have heard about the plants, make sure you get at least two of different varieties for pollination if you try to grow them. If I am wrong about this info, I am sure someone will be along to correct it...

Dianna

-
 -
by Bestofour on February 25, 2006 01:42 PM
I've heard that same thing about pollination. One of mine has given up the ghost. I don't think I'm gonna replant though. I'm just waiting to see what happens with the one left.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by tamara on February 27, 2006 08:48 AM
From my experience they don't grow well in rich soil. Around here you can tell where bad land is, it's covered in blueberry plants.

Netting works for the birds but nothing scares away a bear. Trust me on that one, I've got more bears than birds.

Flower66 what province are you situated in?

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
Thinking Spring, Thinking Spring...Nope, doesn't work.lol
by DeepCreekLake on February 27, 2006 09:06 AM
Ive read in one of my books that pine needles make great mulch for blueberries as they acidfy the soil.
by obywan59 on February 27, 2006 03:37 PM
I use tons of pine needles around mine. Also, when I planted them, I mixed a ton of peat moss with the ground in the planting holes.

I use bird netting over my blueberry bushes. I built a support to keep the netting up off the plants and high enough for me to walk under.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by Longy on February 27, 2006 08:52 PM
Blueberries like an acid soil, so go with the pine needles mulch. Or any other acidifying additive you can get hold of. Cow poo is good i think. it'll take a while to work though. In a sweet soil they just sit there, do nuthin and wonder what's goin on.

-
The secret is the soil.
by Jumptrap on March 03, 2006 01:55 PM
acidify the soil around the plants with sulphur or aluminum sulphate....use it freely! apply fertilizer like 10-10-10 if you believe in it..I do! then mulch with wood shavings or sawdust. you must have 2 different varieties for pollination....otherwise you'll never get anything!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Bluebell Question?| Next thread: blueberries are coming »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: