The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Anyone grow Alpine Strawberrys from seed?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by DeepCreekLake on February 12, 2006 12:58 AM
Bought some Alpine Strawberry (Fragaria Vesca) seeds from Walmart yesterday, wondering if anyone had any luck with them? How is the taste, and how well does growth of the plant and berrys do? I have some in a seed flat with a flat heater under it now, to give em a try but germination time on the pack is stated at 14-21 days!
by Wizzard on February 13, 2006 12:18 AM
i hear they are good but cannot speak from experience, let us know how they are. good luk

Wizzards pics
by jen74 on March 23, 2006 05:32 AM
I started some from seed in January. They did take forever to sprout. They were a bit slow to take off too. They took forever to get their second set of leaves. They are a good size now though. I have about 12 nice size plants now under lights. Mine are the yellow wonder alpine variety.
Jen
by periwinkle on March 23, 2006 12:11 PM
I also started some from seed in February. They were Renee's Mignonette Alpines, and with bottom heat it took 2-3 weeks, which was less than the 30 days germination on the package. They now have four small leaves. The alpines are very good, fragrant and floral, but very small. I had a dozen plants at one time and I was able to harvest a small handful a day, just enough to eat with my morning cereal for a few months out of the year.
Peri

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: