The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

TOMATO

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Tomatillo's| Next thread: TOMATO »
Back to Thread index
Pages: 1 2 3
by weezie13 on February 21, 2006 10:27 AM
quote:
Originally posted by peppereater:
My tomatoes do well mostly in variations of the lasagna bed...I thought I had invented that type of gardening the first time I did it! I did that 7 years ago as an experiment! And didn't hear that term until last year, or the description.

That's funny, cause......
I THOUGHT I INVENTED IT.. [tongue] heehee,
seriously...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Amigatec on February 21, 2006 11:06 AM
quote:
I just caught Pat's post...zoomed right by it before. If the area over the old gasline is that hard, it's because they backfilled with clay, I'm thinking. You probably have a little more clay than me...or a LOT more. We have pretty much all sand here...

No we have a lot of clay here.

When I first tilled it I borrowed a counter-rotating tiller from a guy it work, all it did was get stuck a lot. The wheels spun one way and the tines spun the other way. It would dig 2 holes everytime it did this.

The tiller I have now is forward-rotating. I have tilled several spots and it's all hard to till up.

I trenched a water-line for the son last fall in Broken Arrow, and his yard was full of clay about a foot down.

The only way a worm is going to burrow in my yard is if he uses a jack-hammer and some dynamite!!!

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by weezie13 on February 21, 2006 11:12 AM
Got one word!!!
COMPOSTTTTTTTT!!!

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by weezie13 on February 21, 2006 11:13 AM
quote:
The only way a worm is going to burrow in my yard is if he uses a jack-hammer and some dynamite!!!

heheheheehe..
That's a good one..

But use COMPOST...
Best soil, clay buster~upper you'll find..
Will ad to drainage...and break that stuff up..

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Amigatec on February 21, 2006 07:57 PM
I added 6" of wood chips to the east half last fall, and I have about 6" piled on the west end, and have some more left for the east end.

My compost pile was VERY big. I plan to get some more wood chips from the city this year. I also added some lime, and some 27-13-13 to it to help it.

-
 -
by weezie13 on February 21, 2006 08:42 PM
With what you posted,
I'd get some kind of manure too...

Pat, with all that wood chips, the manure will
help... it'll ad to the nitrogen the plants need, and help break down the woodchips..

and if for the area for your tomatoes,
I'd lay off the lime....

Tomatoes love acid, like you'd get from leaves, pine needles and wood stuff.....

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by johnCT on February 21, 2006 09:58 PM
I have not heard anything good about Totally Tomatoes. These are more reputable sources of tomato seed.

Tomato Growers Supply
Sand Hill
Marianne's
Heirloom Tomatoes
Seed Saver's Exchange

John - Zone 6
by weezie13 on February 21, 2006 10:01 PM
quote:
Seed Saver's Exchange
I think a member of ours, though I haven't spoken with him in a bit, RICK, grows seeds for there,
I think.. I'll have to find out from him... [gabby] [dunno]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by johnCT on February 21, 2006 10:49 PM
quote:
Originally posted by weezie13:
I think a member of ours, though I haven't spoken with him in a bit, RICK, grows seeds for there,
I think.. I'll have to find out from him... [gabby] [dunno]

I'm a first year member. I just got their annual yearbook. Over 100 pages of unique OP tomatoes. I've ordered many tomato varieties from their public catalog and have about another 15 varities I'm requesting from the yearbook.

John - Zone 6
by obywan59 on February 21, 2006 10:56 PM
I just ordered some hot pepper seeds from Tomato Growers Supply. They have a great selection!
Another great source of heirloom and open pollinated tomatoes is Southern Exposure Seed Exchange

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by Sorellina on February 22, 2006 01:35 AM
Peppereater,

I didn't save any seed from Aunt Ruby's last year so my stock is pretty low. I do have an excess of Black Plum that I can send you. PM me with your mailing address.

John, I'm so looking forward to joining SSE with all the talk and drooling going on regarding the yearbook. I have to see what all the fuss is about. Of course it just feeds my tomato obsession, lol. It'll have to wait until next year, though. This year the budget's very tight. The big purchase I'm looking forward to in March is a set or two of shop lights for the seedlings.

Weezie, I haven't grown Siberia so I can't speak to whether it's a good variety. Like whoever mentioned before about Rutgers, it's a very decent canning tomato, so it doesn't surprise me that you wouldn't like it as a slicer. Get your hands on some German Red Strawberry seeds. That one doesn't get huge and it's a WONDERFUL fruity tomato for eating out of hand and not too big.

Cheers,
Julianna

-
by johnCT on February 22, 2006 02:28 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Sorellina:
John, I'm so looking forward to joining SSE with all the talk and drooling going on regarding the yearbook. I have to see what all the fuss is about. Of course it just feeds my tomato obsession, lol. It'll have to wait until next year, though. This year the budget's very tight. The big purchase I'm looking forward to in March is a set or two of shop lights for the seedlings.
I hear ya Julianna. I actually need a couple more shoplights myself.

Dave, I can send you a few ARGG. Just drop me a PM with your snail mail addy.

John - Zone 6
by Amigatec on February 22, 2006 02:55 AM
quote:
With what you posted,
I'd get some kind of manure too...

Pat, with all that wood chips, the manure will
help... it'll ad to the nitrogen the plants need, and help break down the woodchips..

and if for the area for your tomatoes,
I'd lay off the lime....

Tomatoes love acid, like you'd get from leaves, pine needles and wood stuff.....

I already have a place to pickup a truck load of cow manure. Was going to do that last week, but I didn't have time.

-
 -
by peppereater on February 22, 2006 07:34 AM
Julianna...thanks for the offer. You too, John. I'll be PMing you both. Anyone want Cosmic Orange Cosmos seed? I think it's that variety, that's what they look like.
Julianna..."German Red Strawberry" is a great name! I'll be looking into those!

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by johnCT on February 22, 2006 08:56 PM
quote:
Anyone want Cosmic Orange Cosmos seed?
Sure! I can throw in few German Red Strawberry if you want.

John - Zone 6
by mikestuff on February 23, 2006 12:52 AM
quote:
Originally posted by johnCT:
I have not heard anything good about Totally Tomatoes. These are more reputable sources of tomato seed.
Just my input. I order from TT every year and have always gotten good service and good germination on the seeds. I know that they also sell plants and haven't ever ordered those. I was on a site called watchdog or something and checked out their ratings there. There were several negatives, mostly related to their live plants, though many of those reviewers said that TT had either refunded their money or reshipped the plants.

by weezie13 on February 23, 2006 12:53 AM
Pat,
quote:
I already have a place to pickup a truck load of cow manure. Was going to do that last week, but I didn't have time.

Then you are alllllll set to go... [thumb] [flower]

Try some orangic fert's too, Cotton meal,
blood meal, I think, oh, goshhhhhh, brain drain,
Terry posted some somewhere's around here of some good mixes to mix up too...
Try some experimenting...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by weezie13 on February 23, 2006 12:54 AM
Just fixed your quote mike, that was all! [thumb] [kissies]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by loz on February 23, 2006 04:38 AM
Do you all like Early Girl???? I've started some from seed this year and it's the first time I've tried them.
by weezie13 on February 23, 2006 04:54 AM
My mother likes early girl, if for any other fact than, they're [thumb] [Cool] early and they are [Frown] not a store bought [Razz] tomato...
They do produce well, she gets a good supply to hand out to the Meals on Wheels people... [thumb] [Cool]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by mikestuff on February 23, 2006 06:22 AM
quote:
Just fixed your quote mike, that was all! [thumb] [kissies]
Thanks Weezie. BTW, is there a way to reply to a specific message? I didn't see one.

Mike
by weezie13 on February 23, 2006 06:35 AM
quote:
Originally posted by mikestuff:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by weezie13:
[qb] BTW, is there a way to reply to a specific message? I didn't see one.

Mike

Like this one Mike???

Click on the quotation makrs at the top of the person you are tryin' to answer or question,
clean it up, if you'd like, to specify what you wanted to quote or know about, like I did with your question above..

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by ninniwinky on February 23, 2006 06:50 AM
Let me tell you, My mom planted a few of the tomato seeds from Comfrey, and a few store bought, and Comfrey's are ZOOMING past the store bought!!!! Can't wait to start mine!!!!!!!!!

Ninni

PS. Thanks again Comfrey!
by johnCT on February 23, 2006 10:00 AM
Early Girl is very productive, but not much on taste.

John - Zone 6
by loz on February 23, 2006 11:38 AM
quote:
Originally posted by johnCT:
Early Girl is very productive, but not much on taste.
Thanks John, that's just what I wanted to know......

Does your mom like the taste of them Weezie? Do you?

Good thing I also have beefsteaks, romas, and cherry tomatoes to fall back on. [thumb]
by weezie13 on February 23, 2006 11:53 AM
Well, after a winter of store boughts...
having a fresh picked tomato, in my eyes, and really also in my mom's eyes'... they're good.
But I do preferr like the Celebrity, Rutgers,
Beefsteaks, etc. that I also plant..

but they are early, we were eating those kinds, at least 2 or 3 weeks before the other on'es..
so, we can not complain..

And they were very good producers...
and like I said, she gave a whole bunch away to the MOW's people and no one gave them back to her... [Wink] [Wink] [thumb]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by loz on February 23, 2006 11:55 AM
[Big Grin] Well if nobody gave them back then they can't be all that bad right! [Big Grin] [thumb] [Big Grin]

Well, I guess you never know...everyone likes different things, and different tastes...Maybe I'll like these more than any others...You just don't know. Last year we gave a ton of them away too...to anyone that would take them...Mark took them to work, I gave them to neighbors, etc.... [thumb]
by peppereater on February 23, 2006 11:21 PM
Njoynit said that the early girls do well in the summer heat...if they're that early, and produce in the heat, I guess I'll have to grow those, too. Anyone know of any heirlooms that will keep producing at 90 degrees, 100 degrees?

-
Dave
by johnCT on February 23, 2006 11:39 PM
Arkansas Traveler, Costoluto Genovese, Stupice(Very Early) and Homestead 24 are known to be very heat tolerant OP varieties.

John - Zone 6
by peppereater on February 23, 2006 11:42 PM
John, seems like I read somewhere that Stupice was delicious, is that right? Which of these would YOU recommend?

-
Dave
by johnCT on February 23, 2006 11:59 PM
I have yet to grow AT or CG. I'm a fan of trying as many new varieties as you have room for. There are just so many better tomato varieties than just the common hybrids. I need to give Stupice another try. I grew it last year for the first time. It was not a great year for tomato growing here in CT. Spring seemed to last forever and then right into the hot summer temps. The early varieties on my list this year are Kimberly, Taxi, Silvery Fir Tree and possibly Siletz if I can find the room. [nutz]

John - Zone 6
by Sorellina on February 24, 2006 12:40 AM
John, you look familiar, I bet I've seen you on another forum. I grew Stupice last year and really was not overly keen on the flavour. It does produce early so for that we got garden tomatoes in our salads in July and that's never a bad thing, but as soon as any of the others came on strong, the Stupices were relegated to salsa cruda or something with a lot of other spices so the flavour of the tomato wasn't the star attraction.

I also grew Costoluto Genovese last year. This is a big producer and we had a bad patch of humid, droughty weather in the height of the summer which caused a LOT of blossom drop. This tomato kept right on producing and I personally liked the flavour because it harkens back to the Italian tomatoes of my childhood. It also has really pretty pleats and looks a bit like one of those jack be little miniature pumpkins in shape-it's a red tomato, not orange. It's also great for any Italian red tomato salad like caprese or panzanella.

Other tomatoes that did really well in those conditions were Black Plum which cranked them out all season and the plant itself doesn't get overly enormous, just very bushy. All the cherries except for Sungold F1 which succumbed to Early Blight did very well. I'd recommend just about any cherry for hot weather. I just got a whole whack of cherries from a chap down in Texas, so if he's growing them there, they must do ok in heat. I remember growing Yellow Pear cherry tomatoes in Davis, California when I lived there and I had tomatoes coming out my ears until well after American Thanksgiving.

John, you're growing Kimberl(e)y this year as your early...woohoo, so am I and am very excited about it.

Buona fortuna,
Julianna

-
by weezie13 on February 24, 2006 12:53 AM
[Smile] I am alll [Big Grin] giddy [Big Grin] over so much tomato [gabby] talk..
Here it is February and I'm wanting it to be [perplexed] Aug/Sept already to be eating these wonderful TOMATOES we all keep talking about... [lala]

You guys are THE [angel] BEST!!

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by johnCT on February 24, 2006 02:27 AM
quote:
John, you look familiar, I bet I've seen you on another forum.

John, you're growing Kimberl(e)y this year as your early...woohoo, so am I and am very excited about it.

And you as well Julianna! Yes, I'm looking forward to it also. CAN'T WAIT to finally start all of these new seeds I've been fanatically collecting. I'm in the process of building a new combination seed starting/potting bench for my basement. [clappy]

Weezie....August!? No, no, no.....I'm shooting for July for my earlies this year! [thumb]

John - Zone 6
by Sorellina on February 24, 2006 03:51 AM
Peppereater/Dave,

You've got mail. I'd love some of your cosmos seeds if you still have some to spare. I'm pretty clueless about most flowers but I have had some success with growing cosmos from a large packet of mixed butterfly garden flower seeds so hopefully that will work again. Mostly I grow flowers thatn I can eat: pansies, nasturtiums, sunflowers.

Regarding isolation distances for tomoto seed-saving. You're right, Dave, I grow a LOT of varieties and I don't isolate them so what I do instead is cover the blossoms with a tule bag, like those sold at wedding favour supply stores. They have a little wee drawstring so you just cover the flower cluster and pull the string carefully against the stem to prevent cross-pollination. Once you see a tiny tomato growing inside the bag, remove it and mark that tomato or cluster with a bright coloured string or ribbon so you can find it later. Save the seeds from several different bagged tomatoes and you'll have yourself some seed that should breed true the following year. Keep in mind this won't work for hybrids so you want to check the package. If it says "F1" that is an indicator that you've got a hybrid. Look for OP or Heirloom on your packaging and save those seeds.

Weezie, you want tomatoes that are like Celebrity or Beefsteak. I've told you what I think of Celebrity, lol. A beefsteak just refers to a large slicing tomato and you've already indicated that you don't like the real huge ones. John's got some extra German Red Strawberry seeds and I think that variety would be an AWESOME one for you to try this year. It's productive for a heart-shaped variety and the fruits are really outstanding.

I have to agree with John, Early Girls are well...just early. They taste like cardboard to me and that's not hybrid snobbery, I really do love Sungold cherry tomatoes and they're a hybrid. I just don't like Early Girls, especially since there are so many other earlies out there that beat EG hands down. Probably the best early we tried last year was Azoychka, a medium yellow, slightly flattened beefsteak from Russia and I'd also have to mention Silvery Fir Tree which gets another go in our garden this year for a really lusty, jump in your mouth red.

C'mon Weezie, come on up to Heirloom Heaven..John and I will keep your seat warm ;o)

Cheers,
Julianna

PS more about seed saving as the season progresses. John and I can help you out on that score. It's messy but fun.

-
by johnCT on February 24, 2006 04:39 AM
Great post Julianna! [clappy]

I'm more than happy to help! [thumb]

John - Zone 6
by comfrey on February 24, 2006 06:28 AM
Dave...everyone (not me) here in Arkansas swear by the Arkansas Traveler, I tried them one year, but I wasn't crazy about the taste. But our weather here is pretty close to what you get Dave...My Dad lives in Oklahoma and I get a weather report every time we talk, at least weekly, so I know the weather is pretty similar...Hot, dry and humid in summer [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
by BigBoy on February 24, 2006 01:33 PM
Weezie, did you ever plant those heirlooms I sent you a couple years ago? How about the Great White? I had one planted last year and it was sooooooooo sweet tasting.

You scare me with the talk about taking your pruning tool to bed with you. Does your husband know?!

Talking about tomatoes sure has me pumped up but I must restrain myself and not plant my seeds too soon. Been there, done that. I'm shooting for about April 1 here in MN. Too chilly at night until almost Memorial Day. No growth, soil too cold.

Tiller lessons I've learned: it's not good to over till soil- especially soil that has high loam or clay content. The more you till the harder it gets after a rain or watering. I remember my dad, a 60 year farmer, always said that it was bad to plow too deep, work the soil too much, or be in the field when it was wet/damp enough to pack the soil into a ball in your fist. Once, when I first got a garden tractor tiller, I thought it fun to make repeated passes every few days between the sweetcorn rows- even when there were no weeds present. I had 17 rows each 100' long planted side by side. After a soaking rain and a few days of dry weather, those rows were like concrete while the ones I had stayed out of were mellow and unpacked. Most good farmers in our area of high loam seldom use a disc to work ground in the spring . . . it, like a tiller, breaks the ground up too much into small, non-aerated soil. Instead they make one pass with a spring toothed digger/field cultivator (multiple rows of teeth) and then plant.

FWIW [Smile]
by johnCT on February 24, 2006 10:57 PM
Same here BigBoy. I'll be shooting for the weekend of April 1st also. If I can control myself that is! [Big Grin] I'm most likely gonna experiment by starting a Silvery Fir Tree, a Kimberly and maybe a Stupice in a couple weeks though to see how early I can get a ripe fruit.

As far as tilling, I do it once a year in the fall to mix in my compost and thats it. Otherwise I'll use a digging fork to turn over soil if I need to. Tilling often just does too much damage to the soil's structure IMO.

John - Zone 6
by weezie13 on February 24, 2006 11:47 PM
Heyyyyyyyy Bigboy [wavey] [wavey]
Remember you sent me those seeds, and I planted them, and I got sick, some flu bug, that had me down in bed, like 3 days, and the temps in the greenhouse were like 100+*'s...
And they got [Mad] fried [Eek!] !!!
I was soooooo sad..
You sent me Great Whites, Purples, a Golden one and one other, which slips my brain as of this typing...

And Limey sent me some from England area too and they got fried also..

I felt sssssssssssssoooooooo bad...
I never took any seeds from anyone again...
**I didn't want to hurt anymore seeds [tears] [scaredy] **

I start my seeds for the greenhouse in April...
*I'm waiting for Santa Claus to send me a greenhouse heater [Wink] [Wink] **

As it is right now, the temps' get up into the 100's right now, but can't hold night time/over night heat....

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by weezie13 on February 25, 2006 02:37 AM
quote:
You scare me with the talk about taking your pruning tool to bed with you. Does your husband know?!

Ooooooooh yeah, he knows, he's put his foot down.. he won't let me...
and he says I can't [Frown] wear my MUCK BOOTS either [Razz]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Sorellina on February 25, 2006 04:22 AM
Aw Weezie-meister, if you were closer to Buffalo, I'd come down and plant tomatoes FOR YOU just in case they croaked, you could then blame ME, lmao.

Hugs,
JuliBean

-
by tkhooper on February 25, 2006 04:31 AM
I have some roma, cherry and grape tomatoes sprouted and I got some brandywine from Obywan that I hope to plant real soon I just need to find a spot. indoor space is definitely at a premium now. Once I start planting outdoors it won't be so bad I guess lol.

-
 -
by weezie13 on February 25, 2006 04:35 AM
quote:
Aw Weezie-meister, if you were closer to Buffalo, I'd come down and plant tomatoes FOR YOU just in case they croaked, you could then blame ME, lmao.

Hugs,
JuliBean

I am only about 50 minutes really from Buffalo... [thumb] [thumb] [thumb] [thumb]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by weezie13 on February 25, 2006 04:37 AM
Tammy,
Congrats on the "sprouts" [thumb] [flower]
It's still wayyyyy too early for up here..
Afternoon temps are 100+*'s in the greenhouse,
but below 32*'s at night still!!! [tears]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Mothman on March 06, 2006 11:38 AM
Best tomato I've found is Chianti Rose from Reneesgarden.com. Walmart has the Brandy Boy and Jellybean cherry tomatoes - 2 winners
by detectorbill on March 13, 2006 04:04 AM
Does it matter if I plant all sorts of tomatoes close together, was wondering about cross pollination?

I feel more like I do now than I did before I ever felt this way.
by peppereater on March 13, 2006 05:14 AM
detectorbill...that's only an issue if you're going to save seed...Is that part of your plan?

-
Dave
by tkhooper on March 13, 2006 05:25 AM
Hum so when I save seeds from mine this year they will be just plain tomatoes? I don't have enough space to plant them in different places. Almost wish I did though. But that's ok. Who knows maybe the hybred will be even better next year lol.

does it work the same for the peppers?

-
 -
by johnCT on March 13, 2006 07:38 AM
Hybrids don't come true from saved seed TK.

John - Zone 6

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Tomatillo's| Next thread: TOMATO »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: