The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

pinching back mint

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Pinching back herbs| Next thread: Pinching back tomatoes »
Back to Thread index
by hinda on May 26, 2005 01:00 PM
i have a clipping of mint that i planted a week ago. iknow thatit is an invasivre plant but it right now in a planter. do i need to pinch it back - if so ,when and how?? ps i have no idea what kind of mint it is
hinda
by tkhooper on May 26, 2005 01:13 PM
Hi Hinda,

I pinch it back when I want to use some. Otherwise I just let it grow because it has so many uses. I love it in my tea, and for a garnish, and in my pot when I need to humidify my tropical plants, in pork and lamb recipes and someday I want to learn how to boil it down for the juice. I like mint jelly and I want to try to make it.
by hinda on May 26, 2005 03:32 PM
and i thought i would use it for tea only - but it seems like the sky is the limit. and now for a silly question [Roll Eyes] do i take from the top or the bottomof the stalk???
by tkhooper on May 26, 2005 04:13 PM
I take from the top stem and all.
by 4Ruddy on June 03, 2005 01:12 AM
Hinda...the more you pinch from the top of the plant...the bushier and prettier it will be. So, pinch away. Sometimes I go through and cut all the tops off just so it will bush out...it just makes a healthier looking plant. If you dont have a need for the mint at the time, dry it...set a bowl in your bathroom and when you shower the humidity from the shower will make the dried mint smell so good...instant air freshener!

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by plants 'n pots on June 03, 2005 05:38 AM
ooooooh - I really like that idea, Vanessa! I cut my mints back yesterday because they were getting too tall and leggy, but I stuck the cuttings back in the pots. They wilted for about 1/2 a day, but today they are all going strong. I didn't occur to me to dry them for other uses - thanks for that hint!

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by 4Ruddy on June 03, 2005 07:00 AM
I learn by trial & error...mostly error! Last year when the white flies were so bad I had to brak down and spray the herbs...so couldn't dry them for eating purposes...I did EVERYTHING else I could think of. Simmered them on the stove (great house fragrance...stuck them in drawers...you name it...I did it! I also have a rosemary soap recipe that I was going to try but never got around to it...ewe...wouldn't that make a great Christmas gift!

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by Elfinone on June 03, 2005 03:50 PM
I never thought to use mint in the bathroom, what a great idea!!!!!
I am not really liking buyin scents wow, thanks now I will begin to use mint in the bath room, that is like the brightness button coming on in my head!.
[Wink]
by Ceilteach on July 16, 2005 10:07 AM
I like the idea of dried mint used as an air freshener....thanks for sharing that one
[kitty]

"You come to nature with all her theories, and she knocks them all flat."
Pierre Auguste Renoir
by poetprose on July 17, 2005 06:47 PM
Hello, I've got mint growing by my strawberry patch , first time for growing mint...and I don't know what kind of mint it is ,

Question? How do you know when the leaf is big enough to pinch and use it in your recipies, or granishes
, how big can this herb get?
by Ohio Greenie on August 04, 2005 02:39 AM
Is mint annual or perrenial?
by wilderness1989 on August 07, 2005 06:24 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Ohio Greenie:
Is mint annual or perennial?
Mint is an invasive perennial. Pinch the flowers off or the seed will spread everywhere...had some come up in the lawn this year and through 6" of straw mulch.......thought I had it all gone!
John

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Pinching back herbs| Next thread: Pinching back tomatoes »
Back to Thread index