The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

they're eating my herbs!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: They're back!!!| Next thread: They're Growing!!! »
Back to Thread index
by Jupiter on May 20, 2005 01:15 AM
so something has been picking at my herbs quite badly, and now they are all in pretty rough shape. Whatever creature is doing it, has hit almost all of my herbs. Is covering everything with netting the only way to ensure they aren't eaten?

-
by phoenix on May 20, 2005 04:51 PM
[wayey] jupiter
quote:
Is covering everything with netting the only way to ensure they aren't eaten?

this should work to keep rodent type,bird type creatures from eating the herbs,but if it's a bug of some sort i don't think netting will work. do you know for sure it was an animal? do you have the herbs in the ground or in containers? i have mine in containers, and the squirrels dig in the containers but don't eat the herbs.

-
 -
http://photobucket.com/albums/y203/lilpuppolo/
"If you want to talk bollocks and discuss the meaning of life,you're better off downing a bottle of whiskey.That way you're drunk by the time you start to take yourself seriously"
by Jupiter on May 21, 2005 12:07 AM
they are in planters on my balcony. I'm pretty sure it's birds (it's either them or squirrels, but I have more birds frequenting my balcony than squirrels). It's definitly not bugs, because of the type and amount of damage (basically, one day they were full and healthy, the next day I went outside and they were picked to stubs [Mad] ). The only herbs they seem to leave alone is my chives and my thyme.

I hope my herbs recover from the damage [Frown]

Is there anything else that might keep the birds from eating them?

-
by phoenix on May 21, 2005 12:17 AM
do yoou have any pets? if you can scrounge up some animal fur, or even human hair, and put that on top of the dirt aroung=d the herbs that may detere them. IF the netting idea doesn't work [Wink] im not sure what else you can do other than maybe cover the herbs with something the birds can't penetrate? i wish i had some more ideas for you,i'm sorry [dunno]

-
 -
"If you want to talk bollocks and discuss the meaning of life,you're better off downing a bottle of whiskey.That way you're drunk by the time you start to take yourself seriously"
by Jupiter on May 21, 2005 12:27 AM
quote:
Originally posted by phoenix:
do yoou have any pets? if you can scrounge up some animal fur, or even human hair, and put that on top of the dirt aroung=d the herbs that may detere them. IF the netting idea doesn't work [Wink]
haha, maybe I'll finally find a use for the balls of cat fur my kitty leaves around the house for me [Wink] [kitty]

I'm going to put some netting up this weekend, I really hope it works. I was so excited about my herbs!

-
by phoenix on May 21, 2005 12:32 AM
quote:
haha, maybe I'll finally find a use for the balls of cat fur my kitty leaves around the house for me
ha ha ha ha ha [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
oh my that was funny. well dahling good luck with the netting. i hope your herbs will be o.k.
i just added catnip (for my kitty) to a planter that i have mints,rosemary,tarragon,cilantro,parsley,thyme,and lemmon balm in. i just have to keep the squirrels from digging in it [Mad]
which ones do you have?

-
 -
by Jupiter on May 21, 2005 12:42 AM
ooh I saw catnip for sale the other day but I didn't buy it because I figured the birds would get it [Mad]

I picked out sort of a mix-mash of herbs, so I have oregano (both greek and golden), mint, chives, thyme, sage, parsley, lavender, and chamomile (my favorite kind of herbal tea, yum!). I still would like to add catnip, and I saw a place that was selling chocolate mint too, but I don't want to put any more herbs out there until I can stop them from being eaten!

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: They're back!!!| Next thread: They're Growing!!! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: