The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Calamondin Orange

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by holly1681 on January 22, 2006 11:05 AM
I recently purchased a Calamondin Orange tree, yet I can't seem to find a lot of information on how to keep it healthy. I was wondering if anyone could help me to know when it is time to pick the oranges, if it needs to be pollinated, and what is the best system for watering. I would also love to know any other tips on caring for this plant! Thank You!

Holly
by weezie13 on January 23, 2006 04:09 AM
Hi Holly,
I know that there are a few that grow them here..
I think Papito does... give him a while before he comes thru..
and in the meantime, if you do a FORUM SEARCH and
type in CALAMONDIN ORANGE, I think you may find an entry or two.. also look in the ARCHIVES too,
there should be some info in there too......

And Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum by the way, we are very glad you found us.... [wavey]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by holly1681 on January 23, 2006 06:26 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, I am going to check the archives!

Holly
by Eco on March 17, 2006 07:50 AM
Hello!!!

I bought a calamondin last July. Love citrus so much I went and bought a meyer lemon a few months later.

For picking the fruits, even if they have become full colour, they can stay on the branches for a long time. I was picking them as soon as they were orange at first when I was excited, but after the novelty wore off a bit, I would leave them up to a week. Some will tell you they are ready by jumpimg off themselves.

Watering....I water once a week, I put the pots in the tub, and water them so much that they are draining profusely out the bottom. I give them almost 5 times more water than the volume of their pot. As long as it drains very well (very important) this is what I suggest. You should always let the Cal dry out between watering.

Everything I've read has indicated to me they are self pollinating. If you put them outside for the spring, the bees will help.

My biggest tip would be once it needs to be repotted, change the medium to CHC (Coconut Husk Chips). The site I suggested has a wealth of info on this. CHCs were intended for orchids, but citrus growers have discovered it is amazing.

I don't know if you have it indoors in a pot, but if so, I recommend a humidifyer and maybe even bowls of water in the area you have your plant. They aren't happy in dry overheated homes.

What fertilizer will you be using? If you can't find citrus ferts, go for azalea food or miracid.

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions, let me know, and go to that site!!

Ciao and good luck!!

by Bill on March 18, 2006 07:18 AM
Links to that site are not allowed here!

-
by Eco on March 18, 2006 12:54 PM
I'm sorry, I didn't know that. But if one wants ample info on citrus specifically it's where to go.

Didn't mean any disrespect.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: