The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

soil mushrooms

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Soil/Mix| Next thread: soil pests? »
Back to Thread index
by Ruishi Nanki on December 05, 2005 11:07 AM
Hi.
I was looking for shiitake mushrooms to grow with radishes...
but now I've figured out that shiitake mushrooms only grow on trees so...
is there any type of edible mushroom that's easy to grow in the soil? WITH something else?
please reply ASAP! [critic] [teacher]
this is for a science projct!
(I love projects that grow plants 'cause I love nature! [Love] )
by peppereater on December 05, 2005 11:46 AM
check out a site called "Fungi Perfecti." I have their catalogue somewhere, I'll try to dig it out and get back to you. There are other sites as well, try a Google search.
by Ruishi Nanki on December 08, 2005 09:59 PM
thank you very much!!!
*bows*
now...only to get those mushrooms goin'...
chanterelles?
morels?
black trumpet?
horn of plenty?
by peppereater on December 08, 2005 11:18 PM
I have had chanterelles and morels, and they are both excellent to eat! i'd like to try the others. [thumb]
by tkhooper on December 09, 2005 07:07 PM
That sounds so tempting. I love mushrooms and they are so expensive.

-
 -
by Ruishi Nanki on December 09, 2005 08:53 PM
I'm planning to buy a mushroom kit and it's the kind that comes in a box of soil and there are like really small mushrooms starting to grow inside. Is is possible to inplant something else with them? Such as other vegetable plants like radishes? or turnips? I've heard that mycorhiza is very beneficial for plants with mushrooms growing close by. Just in case, here's the site I'm planning to purchase the mushroom kit from one of these sites, PLEASE HELP ME CHOOSE!!!: Portabella mushroom kit
Dense White Mushroom
Oyster mushroom
White button mushroom

Thank you so very much for look at this post!!! This project means a lot to me! (as I love mushrooms [Love]
Thank you all very, very much!
[critic] R.N.
[Wink]
by weezie13 on December 09, 2005 08:53 PM
Alright Norman,
Spill your "knowledge" on growing them would you??

I have often thought I would like to grow mushrooms,
although I don't eat them, well,
just canned and only fried and only with my own
homemade spaghetti sauce...

How do you grow them and where did you get them from???
Inquiring minds would like to know...

Also....... HI [wavey] Ruishi Nanki [wavey]
How's school????

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by peppereater on December 09, 2005 11:33 PM
Ruishi...I would go back to the Fungi Perfecti site. The founder of that company, Paul Stamets, is probaboy the foremost autohority on mushrooms and mushroom culture in North America, if not the world. His company has developed numerous techniques that others haven't mastered yet. The word is that the company is VERY client friendly. I popped over there the other day after posting the name and saw several species specifically designed to go right into the garden. As for trying to grow some companion right in the kit that you might be considering, I would avoid doing that. Mushrooms require very specific ph and other factors, plus you wouldn't want to add soil to a depth that would allow vegetables to root. The mushroom kits that are grown indoors have "spawn," the mycorhizal "roots" of the mushroom (actually the main body of the organism...the above ground mushroom is the spore bearing fruiting portion of the organism,) permeating the growing media to the extent that it is a solid mass, capped by a thin layer of soil that stimulates fruiting. You can't just dig into this substrata or media without damaging the organism(s). Check back to the site for Fungi Perfecti, even call them and tell them what you want to do,and I think they will be able to customize a plan to suit your needs. If time is of the essence, then maybe there is a way to set the entire clump of spawn into a larger container with soil around the outer portion, but you'd have to be sure you weren't upsetting the balance of things.
Weezie...I know a lot about mushrooms, but my growing experience is limited to 2 types of mushrooms. A friend and I grew regular mushrooms years ago from spores we ordered. It is a difficult, or at least involved, process. You germinate spores in a petri dish, transfer the "spawn" to grain media, and transfer that to a straw media, sterilizing everything along the way. It's fun and rewarding, but time consuming.
Since then a friend gave me some logs he had placed shiitake mushroom spawn in, and the mushrooms fruited a few times a year for 2 years. I recently bought spawn plugs to put in some logs for a type called oyster mushrooms, but I have yet to get that done. It's an easy process, you just drill holes all over hardwood logs and put the spawn plugs you purchase into the holes, then sit back and wait.
There is a really intriguing product I'm going to get, it's chain saw oil infused with spores. You just use it in your chainsaw while you're cutting wood and the spores get worked into the pores of the wood.
Mainly I am a mushroom gatherer, but I plan to get into extensive growing one day, at least for my own eating.
Ruishi...I recall that there were at least 2 types that thrive in the garden, one type of oyster and one called shaggy mane. Both would be good companions to vegetable crops, but I am not a fan of the shaggy mane for eating. It's kind of watery and a little bland, and must be used immediately or they deteriorate. Like I say, see what information you can get from Fungi Perfecti...I'm convinced they are the pinnacle of knowledge in this area. Plus, they make take an interest in the fact that you'e a student, and give you special attention.
by peppereater on December 09, 2005 11:40 PM
P.S. Weezie...the kits Ruishi mentions are all ready to go. You just unpack them, put them where light and temperature are as prescribed, and make sure they get adequate humidity. Many nursery catalogs offer various kits through a third party, and I don't know of anyone who has had good luck with these "novelty" kits. When they have produced, it wasn't cost effective. A reputable supplier, and there are others than F.P., should provide a better product. When you're talking about gourmet mushrooms, it wouldn't take many to recoup your $25-$35 dollar investment.
by weezie13 on December 09, 2005 11:45 PM
I watched a show on Victory Gardens once
about the log growing and drilling holes, etc...
I just thought it very cool...
*I have a ton of wild ones'/varieties growing
all around my house, and had a lady and her dad
here from Poland.. and they knew what every kind
was.. and was very well versed on which one's to eat since birth or walking I should say..

But growing them would be soooooo cool....
*not that I have the extra time to do so...*

The boys and I love to go around looking at them,
they're just so neat to look at...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by peppereater on December 09, 2005 11:48 PM
Okay, I'm not quite done...Weezie, you could try an experiment. I know you love to compost, so this could be right in line with that. If you have access to horse manure, I don't remember if you had or still have horses...Mix in equal amounts of straw and horse manure and throw your mushroom scraps into the mix. You could also set mushroom caps on scraps of paper for a few hours and thus collect some spores. toss these in with the manure mix, and see if anything happens within the next months or a year. At worst, you'll have more compost!
by weezie13 on December 10, 2005 11:04 AM
The only thing that ever seriously kept me
from growing mushrooms, especially that way,
is the amount of "wild" mushrooms we have around my house...
White ones, yellow one's, orange and red one's..
Brown one's, tall one's, flat and round one's...
and I don't think, if I was to work up to eating one, that they wouldn't cross pollenate with
the wild one's and poision me... [Wink] [perplexed] [scaredy]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Ruishi Nanki on December 17, 2005 10:13 AM
HI! FIRST OF ALL-THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!! FOR YOUR TIME AND CARE OF THIS TOPIC!
now...to business >o<
ok...i got my mushroom kit today , dense white,
and guess what I found in it
ARRRRAAAGHHH!!!
Crawling all over the peat moss bag that was on the inoculated soil which was mature were LITTLE BLACK FLIY THINGYS!!!!!!
ARRAAGGHHH!!!!!!
I cannot STAND BUGS!!!
HOW IN THE WORLD DID THEY GET INTO A CLOSED BOX?!?!
Ok...there were like 4 or 5 but now i have one flying somewhere round my house..
dinnat...
AAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!!
I was about to start my science fair as I am in a big hurry and then THAT STUPID BLACK FLY CRAWLED OUT AND FLEW AT ME!!!!! OK I LITERALLY SCREAMED!
Please, you must forgive me for my ranting but im am VERY angry at the mushroom kit...or else the producer...
so PLEASE>>>ANY ADVICE?!?!
also, just a note but price and cost are also factors in what i consider-ed to buy...
im so so mad at that mushroom kit!!!!
DARNET!!!!
Sorry, you must be staring at the screen in surprise but yes, i am a student of 14 years.
and please pardon my informal and un-grammar-wise
way of writing/typing.
Thanks!
R.N.
Oh and PS- So peppereater, is the site/ place where I got it from ok?
The kits are at least growable right?
>-<
by peppereater on December 20, 2005 12:19 AM
Ruishi...so sorry about the flies or whatever. It sounds like they weren't very careful with their product at some point...I'm wondering if the peat moss is packaged somewhere else, and included in the kit at the time of packing and shipping. I'd definitely complain to the company, but go ahead and follow instructions closely and see what happens. I'd say the kit should be alright, but bugs in it shows that they weren't as cautious as they should have been about contamination. I don't know anything about the company, but since the media was dense white, it sounds like so far, so good.
by Ruishi Nanki on January 07, 2006 09:16 AM
Oh, yeah! Um...weezie,
From what I know,
mushrooms don't cross-pollinate
they have chemical barriers that prevent that.
so ...
i don't know
but I would consider trying one
and I read in my Popular Science
that it's also a good precaution to cut off the cap of the mushroom (the fat umbrella like part)
lay it out on a piece of white paper for a night and see what color spores they are 'cause the jack 'o latern and the chanterelle (i forgot which) look a lot alike
!
bye!
and thanks!
by weezie13 on January 07, 2006 09:26 AM
Ruishi,
quote:
Oh, yeah! Um...weezie,
From what I know,
mushrooms don't cross-pollinate
they have chemical barriers that prevent that.
so ...
i don't know
but I would consider trying one

I did not know that!!!!
Honestly...
Very cool info, if it is for a fact...
I may very well try it some time..

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by peppereater on January 07, 2006 10:54 PM
Yes, Ruishi is right, mushrooms don't cross pollinate. How's your project going, Ruishi? I hope you'll keep us all updated! [thumb]

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by Ruishi Nanki on February 22, 2006 08:18 AM
Ok...I turned in my project and yes! I got a 100!!! Although...i tried harvesting my mushrooms (I got rid of the flies by drowning the entire box...pretty effective! >-^) the flies had alread eaten into my largest muchroom which was like...6 centimeters across in diameters...^-^ WAH! Oh well... I "complained" to the company/peoples I got my mushrooms from and they apologized and sent me a button mushroom kit (the type of mushrooms you eat on pizza...Yum!)which is worth about the same as the dense white kit I bought...and my mum has given it to her friend who is a really good gardener (handy with lots of botanics) and really good with carpentry...
I got to go now...
and THANKS SOOO MUCH TO ALL OF YOU FOR HELPING ME~~~!!!

R.N.
by peppereater on February 22, 2006 10:24 AM
R.N....That's Great! Wish we could throw you a PARTY! [clappy] [thumb] [flower] [flower]
Did you manage to grow anything along with the mushrooms?
I'm curious...what grade are you in? It's GREAT that you're into science and growing things already...please keep in touch, and KEEP ON GARDENING! And learn everything you can from your mom's friend...about botanics AND CARPENTRY!
Keep up the good work, Ruishi! [clappy]

-
Dave
by weezie13 on February 22, 2006 11:38 PM
Absolutly Ruishi, ditto on every thing Terry said..
That is GREAT NEWS!!!
*And Thank~You for letting [gabby] us know..
I've always said, that is half the [clappy] fun of doing
any of this, is the great feed [critic] back..
We [Cool] love it!! [thumb] [flower]

Ditto on the gardening and carpentary, can't have too many skills...
*besides, when you garden, you can build yourself alot of realllllly neat stuff for the garden projects... [thumb] [grin]
Thanks again, sooooooooo appreciate it..
*and thank you mom too!!*

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Greenthumb newbee on February 26, 2006 03:14 AM
To all you shroom lovers I think I can help you.

Last year I bought 2 kits from www. mushroomadventures.com Two kits (portibello and White button) I also got some Shiitake soak plugs (look like wodden pins you plug in a hole in a log or better yet a tree stump.

Anyway The kit mushrooms grow best in a dark\damp place like a basement (where I grew mine) temp between 50-65 degrees are best. We got 3 arvest from the white button and 2 from the portibellos. all are great to eat and portibellos are VERY meaty. Great grilled whole.

The Shiitake I did`nt expect to grow (being there was a heat wave and drought last summer but it killed off the other fungi in the stump and when it rained afterwords the stump was covered with them. BTW the stump is like 4 feet in diameter and 3 feet tall.

Also put in morel but have not seen them come in yet.

note: When watering mushrooms (use a spray bottle) you can sometimes SEE THEM GROW. neet huh?

Have Fun ...... I did.
by weezie13 on February 26, 2006 05:59 AM
Greenthumb Newbee,
That place looooooks great..
The mushrooms are so nice looking...
*I only like one kind, but had some
interesting other one's to look at..*

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Greenthumb newbee on February 27, 2006 11:15 AM
Weezie there ARe books out there on telling what type mushrooms you have so LOOK. Out hear in south East Iowa It`s big here (Morel mushroom hunting in the spring).

As a kid I found a field which had Puff ball mushrooms (big ball no stems) I found out that there is no such thing as a poison puffball. I grew mushrooms last year. Portibellos and white button from 2 kits and Shiitake in an old tree stump. I did make the mistake of putting them in a stump which had wild ones but last years heat wave and drought killed off them and after the drought the Shiitake took off covering over 1/3 of the stump which is not small (4feet in diameter 3 feet tall and half hollow) I mush have gotten 40+ mushrooms from that stump at once. got my mushrooms From www.mushroomadventures.com. Very happy with what I got.
by peppereater on February 28, 2006 12:36 AM
Greenthumb...actually there are poisonous puffballs, including one called the Poison Puffball...there are, however, no poisonous giant puffballs.

-
Dave

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Soil/Mix| Next thread: soil pests? »
Back to Thread index