The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Plz help me identify this pest on my hibiscus

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Plumeria Help| Next thread: poblanos and shallots »
Back to Thread index
by ladybug_3777 on September 04, 2004 06:25 AM
hello. I have a small potted hibiscus that I have been keeping outdoors for the summer. It has developed an insect problem and I have not been able to identify the insect myself. There are small black spots on the flowers and the buds. They grow together in clusters. I believe they hatch into small spiders or flys. its hard to tell b/c they are so tiny. I have taken pictures to make it easier to identify. The cooler months will be coming and I'd like to take the hibiscus back inside soon, but I need to clear up the insect situation first of course. Can someone tell me what the insect is and how to get rid of it?
Thank you so much for your help.

Here are the pics

-

-

-
by Buglady on September 06, 2004 06:57 AM
They are aphids ... very common on hibiscus. Be careful treating because hibiscus are very finicky and they drop there leaves easy. I would just get a pyrethrin spray like Schultz and do a few sprays. just make sure you have watered your plant well first.

In looking at the photo I can see some winged aphids.. this means you have a large population and they are getting ready to spread to new plants.

Good luck!!

-
 -
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time
by Meg on September 07, 2004 05:09 AM
I hate those stinkin aphids!! Well, I had them too, on my pretty pink hibiscus. I was sure it was certain death, as it looked nearly bare, and had been blooming so nicely just 2 weeks before. BUT, I did spray, and after about 2 weeks of waiting, I got ladybugs delivered, and I put them out over a period of time (like a week or so) and poof, aphids seemed to be gone. My hibiscus started growing green again, and actually, got blooms on it! It is looking nearly perfect again! Then, last Friday, I was inspecting it, and those dang aphids were back!!!! I was lucky to have some spray for those nasty aphids already handy. So far, so good!

Meg

-
 -

I reject your reality, and substitue my own!
My favorite digital camera photos that I took.
My family, garden, and a bunch of misc. photos!
by ladybug_3777 on September 10, 2004 05:30 PM
i didn't realize they could be black too! i thought they were only green. i've heard you can also spray soapy water on the plant's leaves and blooms to make them go away. has anyone tried that?

thx for the info!
by catlover on September 10, 2004 05:41 PM
I have sprayed with soapy solution on several plants but I used it for the white flies on hibiscus....make darn sure you rinse it off after or you will run into more problems.

My largest humungo dense pink hibiscus (guessing 12 ft. or more) is starting to yellow from the center outward....and losing those leaves....thinking it is caused by this awful hot weather we have had here recently.....and making it's own mulch. Not certain of that. It doesn't like to be watered that much but gets droppings of water from the sprinklers edge....but to directly water it... [Frown] doesn't like it! Picky, picky plant. [dunno]
Catlover

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Plumeria Help| Next thread: poblanos and shallots »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: