The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

How To Dye A Rose?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Josiah on December 10, 2006 08:52 AM
Is it possible to dye a white rose (or any for that matter) black? What do you use as a dye? Will it kill the rose?

Thanks for reading, cheers.
by kennyso on December 10, 2006 10:41 AM
Hi Josiah! Do you mean dye a cut rose or a whole bush permanently? For the latter, I have no clue, but I saw some beautiful deep blue roses at the florists across the street. I would assume that you can put the cut white rose in a vase of coloured water (try food colouring and water, a few drops should do it). I know this workds with white carnations, but am not sure if it workd with roses. Let us know how it turns out, will you?

-
 -

Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth
My Website My Blog
by Josiah on December 10, 2006 02:41 PM
Sorry I wasn't more clear, I did mean just a single cut rose not a bush.
by Jiffymouse on December 11, 2006 09:19 AM
kenny has the right idea. it does work with carnations, and i imagine it might work with roses, but i've never tried.
by Josiah on December 12, 2006 02:31 PM
Which end of the rose would I put in the water? About how long should i leave it?

If you couldn't tell already I have no experience whatsoever in gardening [Roll Eyes]
by Patty S on December 12, 2006 02:58 PM
Josiah, you won't really be "dyeing" the flower... as the flower drinks the colored water (through the stem) the coloring is drawn up into the petals.

I'm not real sure if this method will work on roses either, but I'm sure curious as to whether or not it will work, so keep us posted please! (If I'm not mistaken, I believe that "woody" stems, such as those of roses, will draw the water better if you crush the stem at the end before placing it in the water.)

You had asked if coloring a rose will kill it... my answer to that is, not if you use food coloring, or a non-toxic coloring, such as those that come in kid's water color paints. I don't think that shoe polish would be a very good idea... but who the heck even uses that stuff these days? [nutz] I know that while shoe polish might work temporarily on tennis shoes, it's murder on socks! [Big Grin]

I'm also VERY curious about why you want to do this! [dunno] it might be an interesting story, so if you'd care to share, I'm sure we'd all enjoy hearing it. (You just might start a fad around here!)  -

-
 -
by chenno on December 15, 2006 01:24 AM
Rit dye would work...also I know there are some berries, like poke berries that when soaked with water and vinegar can change colors too.? let us know what you do?

-
 -
Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks.
Plutarch

Active Garden Forum