The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Forgiving Herbs

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Forget-Me-Nots| Next thread: Forgot to plant bulbs in the fall »
Back to Thread index
by tkhooper on March 31, 2005 06:08 PM
Hey, whoopie!!!

The chives and corriander and even the parsley that I planted outside without hardening are trying to make a comeback. I am so amazed. They had slumped over and turned brown almost all the way to the soil but now are starting to show some green and lifting their leaves. Those are some very forgiving plants.

-
 -
by rozy221 on April 01, 2005 06:09 AM
good job TK! Nothing better than seeing your little guys make another attempt at life! good luck!
by GiselaT on April 03, 2005 06:05 AM
That's great! Chives and parsley are pretty hard to kill. My parsley actually survived the winter here and it's been one tough winter!
Have you tried the Vietnamese cilantro? Awesome stuff. It doesn't bolt in hot weather like the other stuff and, in the fall, you can move it indoors. it looks nothing like common cilanto, but it tastes just the same. [Smile]

Gisela
by tkhooper on April 03, 2005 12:39 PM
This is my fist time getting cilanto to come up. It was in a starter kit that I bought and I didn't think to keep the information so I'm not sure what kind it is. I live down in Virginia do you think I'll lose it come summer? It usually stays around the 80's then. We had a minature flood yesterday it didn't last long but it covered the entire road with a muddy river I haven't gone out to see if any of the seedlings survived yet. They are at the bottom of an incline.

-
 -
by GiselaT on April 03, 2005 07:30 PM
Congrats on getting the seed to take. I've never had much luck with the seeds, so I always just buy from a nursery.
Cilantro does tend to bolt pretty quick in hot weather -- like lettuce. Mine lasted the longest when I had it in a spot where it just got the morning sun.

Not sure if herbs like a mudbath, hope they're ok! [shocked]

Gisela
by tkhooper on April 04, 2005 12:11 AM
they are looking alittle whimpy, but still have leaves above ground. That was a real mini flood there. The parsley got covered. Oh well there is always next time.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Forget-Me-Nots| Next thread: Forgot to plant bulbs in the fall »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: