The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

saving aloe vera

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by ivona on November 06, 2004 04:16 PM
I am in Taiwan and I found a large abandoned pot of aloe vera plants out in the garbage. I took it home and repotted it into single pots. It was all infested in ants when I broke it apart. I used peat moss and watered it couple of times. It has a lot of sun I have it on the patio outside. But the plants look like they are dying and they have getting brownish yellow in color. What can I do?
by gardenmom32210 on November 06, 2004 05:09 PM
Hi Ivona [wayey] Welcome to the forum!

It sounds like your aloes are going through transplant shock. Keep it watered and it should recover. Aloes are pretty hard to kill,they're tough plants.

Hope this helps!

Good Luck and Happy Gardening [flower]

G-Mom [grin]
by Jiffymouse on November 07, 2004 12:25 AM
but let it dry between waterings... or you can "kill it with kindness"
by weezie13 on November 07, 2004 05:11 AM
What about the peat moss girls??
Should it stay in that??????
Doesn't peat moss stay wet a long time???

Just curious?
I would have used a plain potting soil maybe/??

What kind of dirt/soil does everyone use.....

Has Will, Lizheaemma or anyone gone thru the HOUSE PLANT SECTION???

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by gardenmom32210 on November 07, 2004 05:18 AM
They should really be put into potting soil. I didn't even think about the peat moss [nutz] [dunno]

G-Mom [grin]
by ivona on November 07, 2004 06:19 AM
Thanks girls! I thought that the peat moss is frying the aloe vera, I should change the soil to the plain one. The peat moss does indeed stay moist for a long time. I heard that Aloe is best planted in the loamy soil...is that the same as plain soil?
I found a papaya palm tree, growing out of a garbage area too, it was a twin type and one twin was completely dead and moulden. So I took the other home. It is about 2 meters high! I have more peat moss but I am sceptical, I think unless I have fertilizer with the moss, I should just use regular soil....
WOW! the plants here in TW are wicked! I hope to have a jungle soon! I will send pics later.

Ivona
by sachis2112 on November 07, 2004 08:25 AM
I agree on nixing the peat moss. The problem with it is that it just stays really wet. But since Aloes are supposed to dry out between waterings, it becomes more problematice since peat is hard to wet once it's been dried. It has a waxy quality to it that is really annoying. If you can get your hands on some good cactus/succulent mix, that'd be great. But if you keeping it around as a houseplant, maybe regular old soil is the way to go. Easier on you for watering. [thumb] [thumb]

Good luck with them! I've been saved by aloe more than once in my life. As a child, my brother accidently spilled boiling water down my back. It had been sitting on the wood stove boiling away for a couple hours. I don't remember what it felt like (thank god) but I remember a lot of screaming.

I had third degree burns all down my back and all over my keester. Mom (being a country woman) didn't take me to the hospital but instead, she pulled a whole bunch of aloe leaves (or whatever you call'em) and slathered me up. I healed without any scars. Given the severity of the burn, I'm still amazed to this day. Open wounds everywhere (sorry for the graphic). But I'm certain that I'd be scarred like crazy if she'd have taken me to a burn center for it. The aloe stopped my body from going into shock and making it worse, I guess. [thumb] [thumb]

-
by ivona on November 07, 2004 09:42 AM
Wow! I didn't realize that aloe is as effective as you described it! I appreciate you sharing your stories with me.
[Wink] So I just drove around to every plant shop here in my town and noone has any other soil than peat moss [Frown] So I bought some fertilizer: three types, but it is all in chinese or taiwanese or japanese. One is in a small plastic jar with a plastic spoon. It looks like orange small balls. Then I have a package of Japanese fertilizer which are small gray balls. Then I bought a large bag of longer brown pieces and the only thing I understand on the bag is N:4% P2O2: 2% K2O: 1% But which one do I use for the aloe? How often, how many? If I amstuck with peat moss, then I think that with fertilizer and proper watering I should be fine eventually. The aloe is also probably in a shock like G-Mom said.
by Jiffymouse on November 08, 2004 01:11 AM
i would add, regarding the aloe as well as the papaya, sand added to the soil you use will make it drain better and for the aloe, will facilitate the drying of the soil better. and on the papaya, the ones we had on guam seemed to grow every where, in the sand along the beaches and in the areas that had more clay and volcanic material.
by sachis2112 on November 11, 2004 12:36 AM
Yes! Sand's a good idea. Or just a wee bit of plain dirt. Although that may not be a good idea in Taiwan. I think there's a lot of clay and it will have the exact opposite of what you want.

-
by ivona on November 18, 2004 09:42 AM
I went looking for soil everywhere, since the local plant shops "do not have any [dunno] " and as you mention, there is a lot of clay-like soil so I mixed it with sand. I am assuming this will work as I am just about to plant my papaya seeds. I am also working on avocado. One seed I planted in soil, 2 weeks ago, so far nothing. Today I used the water technique with the tooth picks holding it up in a jar. But I have a question. About planting guava, I do not understand exactly what this means: "after planting the seeds, propagate both varieties outside during summer months in bright but diffused sunlight." from a website:http://www.greendealer-exotic-seeds.com/seeds/HowtoMangoPapGuav.html
I know what propagate means but I somehow don't get it? [Frown]
Thanks for all you help.
Ivona
by sachis2112 on November 18, 2004 11:59 PM
It means that, if you take a cutting of your mother plant to make baby plants, to do it outside in diffused (filtered) light. But also, it says only to do it in the summer months. Many plants have only certain months out of the year during which you can plant outside depending on their zone hardiness.

And a though occurs to me. Usually, when you have seedlings, they are very sensitive to extreme temperatures. So maybe it's just telling you not to plant your baby outside until there is bright light and it's warm out. This gives the plant time to "establish" itself and become strong enough to withstand cooler (or hotter) weather.

-
by weezie13 on November 19, 2004 05:45 AM
Ivona,

[thinker] Can you order any potting soil thru any
mail order places??? [dunno]

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by njoynit on November 19, 2004 11:41 PM
I thought I posted a post on here but don't see so must have been one of them days with the errors(Hate them).
peat WILL hold too much moisture.you want a sandy type soil so it will drain well.my cactus mix bag looked like potting soil with vermilite& kitty litter was slightly gritty,but i mixed with my sandy loam soil when potting up my aloe.I'm a TX 8b& grow mine in ground then in nov before frost will dig& pot up till march and plant back out.It will be heavy next year.was gettin there this year.

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
are a few aloe pics in my albulms 2003& 2004 ones.my plant is 3 yrs now.

Here is one that will ship to you.
http://homeharvest.com/shipinfoshipping.htm
I have an african violet friend in taiwan.she orders her soil from here.was the only place she told me.said you can't find crap there.I think charleys greenhouse does international orders also.I have to drive to bus stop so can't search that for ya.I can't believe you can't get nothing but peat moss there.one of my video tapes with HGTV has a sunday special was a garden there in taiwann japenese style garden.I'll try to find tape so can get name.they offer free clinic classes about plants.like bonsi& those zen type gardens.

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03

Active Garden Forum