The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Iris storage, help?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Iris'ssss| Next thread: IRIS TROUBLE »
Back to Thread index
by Wrennie on November 26, 2006 09:01 PM
I just received iris tubers. Is it too late to plant them? I'm in zone 5. I dont have their final bed ready yet so It would have to be a temporary spot. Can I save them in the fridge like a tulip or daffodil? Leave them dry in a cool spot in the house? Pack them in peat moss? [dunno]

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by Patty S on November 27, 2006 12:32 AM
Wrennie, you can plant Iris any time... but if you wait for too long & don't get them in until spring, they might not get their roots settled in soon enough to give you any blossoms. (Mine bloom in late April/early May.) They'd be better off in the ground, but they're pretty draught tolerant, so if you're going to get them in within the next month or so, you don't really have to do anything special with them. I have some in my garage that I haven't gotten around to getting planted. They've been there for a month & still look good.

Remember, when planting Iris, dont completely bury the rhizome. Leave the tops exposed, & make sure you put them in a place where they'll get good drainage. If I'm not mistaken, Iris in your area are susceptible to root rot if their feet are too wet.

(Oops! you didn't say what type of Iris they are... I'm assuming that they're Tall Bearded.) [dunno] If they're bulbs & not rhizomes, you need to totally bury those.

-
 -
by Wrennie on November 27, 2006 02:27 AM
Thanks Patty. They are rhizomes. [thumb]

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Iris'ssss| Next thread: IRIS TROUBLE »
Back to Thread index