The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Starting herb garden help

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by aequitasveritas311 on February 18, 2005 08:53 PM
Hello, all.
I love herbs, and I want very much to start an herb garden. I live in zone 8b, and have a nice sunny back yard and a large brick planter in front to work with, but I don't know where to start!
My favorite herbs are lavender, mint, lemon verbena, and other fragrant herbs, and I've read a little bit, but have killed a bunch of plants. HELP!
[dunno]

toodles.
by SN on February 18, 2005 09:32 PM
We used to live in Zone 8a-7b. I grew a nice outdoor herb garden in addition to growing herbs in strawberry pots. We had a raised bed, made with sedona stone (we used it for landscaping) with was cut similar to bricks - it was rectangular anyway.

[Smile]

In the herb garden, I had great success in growing Dill, Garlic Chives, Curley Parsley, Various kinds of Basil, and Oregano. The parsley and dill especially grew like crazy.

We are now in Zone 5a, so I have to learn all over again.

I love herbs, they are my favorite thing to grow.

-
 -
Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony... ~Mahatma Gandhi

Rocking through the night
All is silent...Southern Cross

by weezie13 on February 18, 2005 09:39 PM
aequitasveritas311,
Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum!!!
We are very glad you found us.....

quote:
but have killed a bunch of plants. HELP!

Got a question for you???
When you had others' *herb's* what did you do to them???
Like what type of soil did you grow them in?
What were your watering practices??
Did you fertilize them?

*Herbs do not like "nutrient~rich" soil...
Just plain ole garden dirt with a bit of compost in it...
Too rich of soil can kill your herbs...

Also, alot of herbs don't like it when the soil splashes up on to it's self.....
If you were to put a layer of say stones on top of the dirt when watering or when it rains, it'll be nicer for the plants, which also keeps the heat on them, as the rocks heat up and release it's heat, the plants love that...

*Too much water can also not be very good!!!
And herbs usually like it dry, they come from alkalinic mountainous regions most of them do....

*Too much fertilizer can hurt a herb....
They don't need much nutrients in the first place, and actually can have a reverse effect on them as well, toooooo much green growth..
or can do stuff to the chemical make up of the some of the herbs if you add fertilizers........
Or take away some of the "Oomffff" from the taste or smell...

[thumb] Lot's of pruning.... a good snippin' every so often encourages bushiness in them, and new growth.

****Mints can be aggressive.... so if you plant those in your container, you should leave it in a pot it came in...once the root system gets around, you've got alot of mint..
Now, if you have lot's of room and like mint,
let it go into an area where it won't be so bad or choke out other less aggressive plants...
I love mint, I let mine go in a part of my back 40 and it's happy, I'm happy, we're all happy..
but if you have a small area, it's best to contain it...

Hope that's some info to get you started...
Let us know if you need more specific info!!! [critic] [thumb]

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by SN on February 18, 2005 09:40 PM
P.S. I grew them all from seeds, except the organo. I got the plants at the whole foods store, they were around $1 a piece for organic oregano.

I have grown from seed, two ways, starting indoors first and also, sowing right into the ground when it was safe.

Sage is really easy to grow too. I have never grown it, but I know someone who has.

-
 -
Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony... ~Mahatma Gandhi

by weezie13 on February 18, 2005 09:41 PM
Also, if you do a FORUM SEARCH and type in
HERBS you should find a few posts that have
asked other questions about HERBS as well,
that may also give you some more ideas and hints
and tips too!!!

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by SN on February 18, 2005 11:21 PM
Weezie, are you following me?

LOL

And what are your favorite herbs to grow? Have you ever grown chamomile? I could never get it to grow...

~W

-
 -

by aequitasveritas311 on February 18, 2005 11:45 PM
Thanks!
--soil was just aweful. Silty clay, with an oak tree overhead.
--one other thing was, the area tended to flood. It was a little patch of ground at an apartment I had.
--watering...um...it flooded often. I didn't have to water it.
--I suppose that they all died a watery death, as you indicated, weezie.
--as to compost, I stirred organics and leaves into the soil.

The rocks you're talking about to put on the ground over the dirt...are they large, and arranged like puzzle pieces, or are they like gravels?

Also, my mom wants to plant lavender...any tips?

In any case, I feel a bit sheepish about the whole flooding thing. I did want to try a raised bed, too. Something stepped or terraced, I think. It might be nice to try something like that. [wayey]

toodles.
by Micky on February 19, 2005 12:08 AM
Parsley and mint are two of the easiest herbs to grow. We have tons in my uncle's vegetable garden, and here mint grows wild.

As for taking care of the parsley: Water is bad, UNLESS you plan on cooking with parsley every night for a week or so. Just collect a few bunches of parsley and put them in a container full of water. This will keep them from wilting in your fridge for about a week or maybe two. Don't know if that helped, but glad to meet you anyway.

Micky

The wrong age, the wrong time, for you to be mine.
by weezie13 on February 20, 2005 04:06 AM
**SN,
quote:
Weezie, are you following me?
I think we were typin' at the same time!!! LOL!!!

***Aequitasveritas311,
quote:
--the area tended to flood.
That's probably why they weren't too happy or healthy...

quote:
The rocks you're talking about to put on the ground over the dirt...are they large, and arranged like puzzle pieces, or are they like gravels?

Like the little #2 stones I guess you could call them, or even those rounded washed stones or river rocks, or polished rocks you can get in a bag at the Dollar Store, but depending on what size your plant is I guess.....
It keeps the surface of the dirt from splashing back up on to the plant....and heat from the sun.
Think of the hills or mountainous regions...
As I understand it most originate from that type of soil...

quote:
Also, my mom wants to plant lavender...any tips?

My neighbor used to grow it in staight peat moss..
I grow mine in straight topsoil....
Both did okay...
but one year we had an unusual wet seasons, and it stayed so wet the poor thing couldn't dry out and it died over the winter....
so, maybe do some experimenting....
I love to have a couple of plants, and try them a couple of different ways...
Pots/containers, staight topsoil, regular soil...
and see which one grows easier for you..
There's several different varieties of Lavendar, several you could grow that I can't because of your higher growing zone...
My lavendar stays dormant for a while, when alot of other things are coming to life, and I have a tendancy to think it died over the winter and I have to have patients with it....
And some good hair cuts do it good...
And after a while it will get "woody" on you, and you need to prune it to the new growth to keep it vital...
I love making bundles from the flowers and tying them together and having a sachet... or to throw on the fireplace is neat aroma theropy too!!!

quote:
In any case, I feel a bit sheepish about the whole flooding thing. I did want to try a raised bed, too. Something stepped or terraced
Don't be worring about the mistakes, we've all been there and learned, it's nice to be able to help someone thru them....
Although mistakes are the grand prize of learning though, just HATE the thought that it's at the expense of the poor plant...

Hope this helps a wee~bit!!!!
Don't hestitate to ask any questions....
(sometime's I don't splain well) LOL [Wink] [Big Grin]

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by aequitasveritas311 on February 21, 2005 04:56 PM
Thanks for all your help, guys. I have a to do list, now, at least.
Thanks again!

toodles.
by weezie13 on February 21, 2005 05:17 PM
And please keep us updated [critic]
We [Cool] LOVE [Love] updates
and how things turned out.........
GOOD [angel] OR BAD [devil] !!!
We all learn [teacher] from success's [thumb] and mistakes [shocked] !

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by aequitasveritas311 on February 22, 2005 05:42 PM
No problem [Smile] I'll definately let you guys know how things are going. Hopefully, I can have things all prepared in a month. Then I can have some fun picking out plants! [flower]

toodles.
by Elfinone on February 25, 2005 05:24 PM
I love my herb garden, this year I am expanding it, I shall get my little tiller out and make new beds just for that. I started out with basic kitchen herbs. Tarragon, sage, rosemary, thyme, summer savory, oregano, basil sweet, parsley, dill. I planted these in my flower beds, now I need new beds for them so I can have my bit of flowers,lol. I also have persons wanting them family and such, they are giving me please plant suggestions just for them,lol.
I can't do a thing until at least April as I am in zone 5a, so right now I am plotting where to put what as far as beds go. Good luck with your herb garden, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine.
[Wink]
Elfinone

Active Garden Forum