The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

California White Sage

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Calendula| Next thread: Californian Prairie planting in the UK. »
Back to Thread index
by Mizz Mo on January 11, 2005 01:18 AM
Bill, I've been trying to grow this for a couple of years now. I know its not recommended for this climate, but I use it for cleansing and ceremony, and its cheaper to grow your own than buy it.
What do you recommend to keep them alive outside during our winter months here. Last year I brought it in and put it under lights, but the bigs and mold came out big time.
by Bill on January 11, 2005 01:38 AM
I can't find any references to "California White Sage" in my books. Do you know the botanical name?
I grow several different sages (Salvia) here but not that one...

Can anyone else help???

-
by Mizz Mo on January 11, 2005 01:44 AM
mmmmmm, Salvia apiana. Normally grown in dry, hot climates, along coastal areas too I believe.
by Cricket on January 11, 2005 01:51 AM
Bill, this might be useful to you:

California sages

I agree with Mizz Mo...Salvia apiana
by Cricket on January 11, 2005 02:01 AM
Some interesting info on the medicinal use of white sage:

White Sage Medicinal Use
by weezie13 on January 11, 2005 05:59 AM
Hello Mizmo!!
Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum...
Give this a peak at...
Tells you a bit about how to grow.. White Sage/Bee Sage

Think of it like an Alpine Plant.. and close to the house...Southern exposure...and good drainage.

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Mizz Mo on January 11, 2005 06:16 AM
Thanx for the links!!
I was at that I am shaman site over this last weekend. Pretty cool site. I'm always collecting metaphysical links, so I can add them to my site. I just need to do that cuz I have way toooo many favorites going.
by Cricket on January 11, 2005 07:28 AM
Mizz Mo,

My apologies for not reading the thread carefully...it was you, not Bill who started the topic, so I should have addressed my reply to you!

quote:
I'm always collecting metaphysical links
Me too!

I also want to grow my own sweetgrass and white sage for ritual - cedar is abundant here. Not only is it less expensive to grow your own, it feels energetically "purer" for me not to obtain it commercially.
by Mizz Mo on January 11, 2005 06:58 PM
Let me know if you find sweet grass, as this is something I'd like to stock up on too. I do lavendar, but have been container gardening for years now, and haven't found a good, permenant place to plant the lavender. They say wearing fresh lavender is an excellent way to see ghosts. Not to mention lavender attracts them. [Wink]
by thorns on January 13, 2005 07:20 AM
hello, jl hudson out of calif. has seeds for sweet grass. he has a web site now, though i've never used it. still use paper catalog. hope this helps.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Calendula| Next thread: Californian Prairie planting in the UK. »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: