The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

need help with tiny new trees!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by scruffydog85 on May 01, 2004 03:56 AM
I ordered a weeping willow and a red maple tree from arborday.org, and they got here today. I think they're labeled wrong, because the one labeled "weeping willow" has a couple very large leaves, and the one labeled "red maple" has stringy looking ones. The red maple is tiny, about 6 inches tall. The weeping willow is about 2.5 feet, and not quite as wide as the twist tie that holds it to the bamboo stick! I know it needs to be staked, because if I put it in the ground as is it would never stand up. Since they're so small, I was thinking of starting off by putting them in a large pot with top soil. Would that be good, until they're bigger?
by Gardencrazy on May 02, 2004 05:54 AM
Hi and Welcome,
When I receive trees like that I always start them off in pots. You should also make sure that if you do put them in pots to shelter them more during the winter.
gardencrazy [flower]

-
 -
 - my webshots ~ my photobucket
by obywan59 on May 02, 2004 09:39 AM
I just received 10 flowering trees from the arbor day foundation. They recommended planting them in a garden for a year or two. So that's what I did. As I have been having problems with deer, rabbits, and groundhogs, I also used Tubex tree shelters

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by Jon on May 04, 2004 04:51 PM
You may be more than a little correct in your estimation. I have received 3 red maple (3 different orders) from arbor society and each time the red maple was a good 2 1/2 - 3 feet in length.

I put my trees in pots and start them that way. Works well for me.

Good luck on the Red Maple and Weeping Willow.

Jon

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: