The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Hor'deurves

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
by Dixie Angel on March 23, 2005 12:38 AM
Since our wedding will be in the early afternoon, we are planning on serving just heavy hor'deurves at the reception. Know any good and simple recipes? My aunt and I are catering it ourselves.

Thanks!

Dianna

-
 -
by tkhooper on March 23, 2005 01:44 AM
Are you sure you want to do this? Your wedding day is a lot to do just being a bride.

But if you like here are some that might help

Stuffed mushrooms:

Recipe can be multiplied to the amount you need and the baking sheets can be stacked in the refrigerator covered with a sheet of plastic.

1 box of button mushrooms de-stemed
1 bottle of bacon bits
Cheese slices.

Place the mushrooms on a baking sheet, fill with bacon bits and top with cheese. This can be done the day before. Then preheat oven to 400 degrees F and cook for 15 minutes until the cheese is nicely melted and slightly brown.

Deviled Eggs:

This recipe can also be multiplied to the amount you need but add the mayonnaise last and in spoonfuls because you don't want the yolk mixture to become runny.

4 hard boiled eggs
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
pinch paprika or minced fresh parsley leaves for garnish
1/4 teaspoon vinegar, (I like malt)
1/4 teaspoon minced onion

Peel the eggs and cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out the yolk and put in medium bowl. Add all ingredients except the garnish. Mash together until a creamy consistancy. If you want to be fancy put the yolk mixture in a pastry bag and then swirl it into the egg white hole. then add the garnish. It can be made a day or two before but watchout they disappear.

Celery with cream cheese:

Whipped cream cheese
1 bunch celery

The day before clean and slice the cerlery into approximately 3 inch sections. slice one end into thin strips about 1 inch long and place in bowl filled with ice water. This will curl the ends and make it look fancy. The next day spread the cream cheese in the center of the stocks and enjoy.

And of course chicken wings can be gotten at the store with a variety of sauces, and chicken fingers also which just require following the directions on the package.

You can do a steam ship round for the beef it is cheaper than most kinds of meat that are large enough to feed a crowd. I use garlic onion dry soup mix as a rub and then bake in a 450 degree F oven until the meat themometer reads 125 degrees. Sliced thinly this works for sandwiches and an au jus can easily be made from the pan drippings.

A lunchmeat tray with the variety of lunchmeats wrapped around a spreadable cream cheese and held together with a toothpick topped with an olive is a standard.

A champagne fountain can be rented, and filled with a pink chanpagne is really cute.

I don't like bread trays they look nice but the bread drys out so fast it's not worth it. Rolls work much better and taste just as good.

I think relishes, dips, & condiments come in such a variety there is no reason to make one yourself unless you have a favorite.

Carrot curls can be done by slicing the carrot longwise with a potato peeler and put in ice water the night before but they don't hold their shape well so I would just slice them on a slight diagonal possible with one of those tools that have a wavy edge, I've forgotten what they are called. I like them with a ranch dressing for a dip and I recommend Maries ranch dressing. You'll find it in the refrigerated section of the produce department if you want to use it.

Radish roses ( I don't recommend these because slicing my fingers is always a part of the exercise. And who want's that on their wedding day)

califlower just needs to be cleaned and broken into bite sized pieces/florets.

I few pickle spears add a different texture and a nice flavor to the vegetables offered.

A bowl of black olives is always a plus at a party.

I just love a party!!!!!!!! can you tell?

Strawberrys dipped in dark chocolate are wonderful for the fruit course. If they are in season.

And the wedding cake takes care of the deserts.

Let me know if there is a particular recipe you want and I will look for one. I think i covered all the food groups here. lol

-
 -
by Dixie Angel on March 23, 2005 03:38 PM
quote:
Originally posted by tkhooper:
Are you sure you want to do this?
Nope, not sure at all, TKH! Finances and the prices that I have been quoted for catering is sort of pushing me into it! I know that my aunt and I can do the same thing the caterers are wanting to do for about a quarter of the price they have quoted.

We are going to try to keep it simple with veggie, cheese, and fruit trays. We are thinking about chicken wings, meatballs, and cocktail sausages for the meats. That steam ship round of beef sounds good. As do the mushroom recipes you have given. Can they be made ahead of time, too? And just reheated?

Thanks for your input. If you have any more ideas, please add them!

Dianna

-
 -
by tkhooper on March 23, 2005 04:45 PM
the mushrooms can be prepared ahead but don't cook them until you are ready to serve them. Mushrooms get kind of squishy when they are cooked so I wouldn't try doing it twice. Don't be concerned about this you are really just heating the cheese more than anything else with the cooking.

Yes the steamship round can be made ahead. It is the cut of meat you see at all the buffet styled resturants. With some chef standing there with his really long knife and steel. But the meat is just as good if it is precooked, sliced and attractively arranged on a platter. The main thing you need for good steamship round is a really good knife for cutting thin slices. (that's because it is actually a very tough cut of meat, shhhhhh don't tell anyone). Which is why it is quite cheap for such a large roast.

Well broccoli florets are also a good addition to the veggie trays. And if you search this site under super bowl you will find a group of additional recipes that are really wonderful. The stuffed tomatoes all kidding aside are a lovely addition.

You also may want to get the potato, and macaroni salads at your local grocery. I have a shoppers by my place and they sell large tubs for a very reasonable price.

If you have a place to set up the buffet table in advance you can use cardboard covered in aluminum foil for your trays. Just place the trays and then put the food on them. I use alot of endive lettuce for garnish around the edges of trays to add to the attractiveness of the tray.

You can rent the champagne fountain from a rental place you don't have to go to a caterer's and it makes such a difference.

I don't know when your wedding is so I don't know what you will have available to you as far as fresh produce.

Melon balls mixed with square chunks are cute and interesting, I like a mix of cantalope, honeydew, and watermelon.

Rich mades frozen rolls that are really wonderful but you have to watch them very carefully while they are defrosting/rising so that you pop them in the oven at just the right moment. Then they can be warmed up right before you put them out on the buffet table in a nice basket lined with a napkin. I like using a basket with a handle again to add vertical interest to the presentation.

Green onion in a vase with water make a nice vertical display so that everything on the table is not horizontal.

Easy but not cheap is a shrimp dip.

one package of cream cheese
1 can shrimp
1 small bottle cocktail sauce.

Just place the cream cheese on a plate, pour the cocktail sauce over it. Drain the shrimp and then dump the shrimp on top of the cocktail sauce. Place wheat thins or some other type of thick cracker around the outside of the tray for dipping. This can be done ahead just cover it with plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator.

a couple of cans of mixed nuts are also a nice addition placed around the room so people can scoop them up at will. I always need alittle something while i'm waiting in the buffet line (lol, i'm not skinny).

I don't know if you watch those home decorator shows? But you can create a cascade type affect on your table by placing old paint cans and other things underneath a really large tablecloth and then arranging the trays on those, it is very dramatic. With one table cloth placed flat on the table surface and a contrasting color for the one covering the multi-tiered structure.

I hope your wedding day is magical and that every day that follows is even better.

-
 -
by Dixie Angel on March 23, 2005 04:54 PM
May 14, 2005, TKH! Coming up fast..... We are having a western theme.

You have really given me some very good ideas. Thank you.

I watch a lot of home decor and gardening/landscaping shows on television. Haven't seen the cascading table effect you mentioned. We might just have to try that!

Thank you, again!

Dianna [flower]

-
 -
by tkhooper on March 23, 2005 05:00 PM
I lost my meatball recipe [tears]

And it was really wonderful too. But under that superbowl string you will find several to chose from.

I almost forgot chicken wings, you might try doing half spicy and half teriaki or maybe doing them three different ways and have one very plain depending on your family and friends. My group is very diverse so I usually do alittle bit of several different kinds. Walmart sells large packages of chicken wings in an ice glaze that you can do anything with you like and the packages are about $7.00 here. unfortunately I have never taken the time to write down measurements for the ingredients I use for those.

Oh and while I'm being incredible wordy on this rainy day. Mandrin Oranges are a great edible garnish for just about anything including the chicken.

-
 -
by Dixie Angel on March 23, 2005 05:21 PM
I am getting hungry! [Big Grin]

I never thought to check the archives for recipes. Thanks for reminding me to do that, TKH!

Dianna

-
 -
by Sue Z on March 24, 2005 12:54 AM
[flower] C O N G R A T U L A T I O N ' S, [flower]

[flower] D I X I A N G E L!!!!!! [flower]

Another variation to TK's deviled eggs that my family love's is to add deviled ham to your yolk mixture for 'DEVILED HAM EGGS', sprinkled with paprika and served on a platter covered with romaine lettuce.

Any leftover filling may be served in a dish surrounded with various crackers. (we like wheat thins. ;-) [muggs]

LOVE & LUCK!
Sue Z
is hungry now too. LOL!
[wayey]

-
"WHEN IN DOUBT ... DON'T"
by Dixie Angel on March 24, 2005 03:39 PM
That sounds good, too, Sue Z! I really shouldn't have started this topic. I get hungry every time I see it! Not good for still trying to lose weight. [scaredy] At least my outfit has an elastic band on the skirt! [Wink]

Dianna

-
 -
by tkhooper on March 24, 2005 04:53 PM
I just love elastic

May is a great time for a wedding.

You can get any kind of produce you want then.

I might try getting some of those colorful bell pepers (small ones) and cutting rings. Or if you can only get the large ones cut them into long thin slices and layer them so they look like a chrysanthamum (sp?).

A western theme, I'm trying to picture that but I don't think I've seen one before.

Lets see the cheese shaped like a longhorn skull with a large blooming flower placed strategically on it like that lady painter did? ( ok that was definitely out there. But I couldn't resist)

Artichoke is also nice if it's a big one you can used the hollowed out center for a mayonnaise dip.
It does have to be steamed first but then it can be refrigerated. Make sure to use lemon just on cut tips to keep browning down to a minimum.

Cherries may be available then too and I never miss a chance to have cherries. Sooooooooo good, Sooooooooo romantic. Dipped in a chocolate sauce.

Edible flowers; acacia, mimosa, almond, alyssum, apple, peach, plum, borage, chrysanthemums, daisies, daylilies, dianthus, geraniums, hollyhock, jasmine, lavender, lilacs, lilly of the valley, nasturtiums, orange & lemon, pansies, marigolds, squash, violas and violets. Make sure no pesticides have been used on them. Even if you don't want to eat them the sure add something to the trays.

Kohlrabi I ran into these when I was in Okinawa Japan. Slice them semi-thin and they are a great dipper. White in color and with the circular shape when sliced they add to the presentation of the trays.

I have to stop now my back is killing me. I'll continue to think about things that might help. My mind seems to keep going back to your topic.

-
 -
by Dixie Angel on March 24, 2005 05:38 PM
quote:

Lets see the cheese shaped like a longhorn skull with a large blooming flower placed strategically on it like that lady painter did? ( ok that was definitely out there. But I couldn't resist)

LOL! [Big Grin] Love that idea!

Dianna

-
 -
by tkhooper on March 24, 2005 07:20 PM
If you do I want a picture [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

In this same cazy line of thinking:

take the whole pickles and some toothpicks and make cacti?

cinnamon sticks with strategically placed flour paste for a split rail fence?

the semi-melted tootsie rolls for cow patties?

Use one of the double wedding ring quilts for your top tablecloth?

take the thinnly sliced korabhi and cut in the shape of a spur?

lets see what else comes to mind hehehehehehe

-
 -
by tkhooper on March 25, 2005 11:06 PM
I can't get it out of my mind.

I wedding cake shaped like a white cowgirls hat?

-
 -
by 4Ruddy on March 26, 2005 07:48 AM
Dixie....you may want to re-think your meat selection...your Aunt (or you) will not want to be in the kitchen heating up hot wings etc....so you might think of sticking with things that can be kept warm in a roasting oven or crock pot. Like the sausage balls, meatballs, bar~B~Que smoke sausages...etc. The other alternative to the meat trays are the cheese & meat skewers..they are very attractive on trays and a good do a head project. Just get the "loaf" type ham (or turkey ham) and blocks of cheese...cut them in equal squares and stack then stick the "skewer" (you can get them at a party supply store they are just a little longer than a tooth pick)I alternate the cheese & meat stacks to make the tray nicer...and they stand up very nice. Also cheese balls go a LONG way...every body loves them and they are easy to make and you can make them a week a head of time.You can do several different "flavors" of cheese ball/logs...like a Mexican cheese log with tortillia or guacamole (colored) chips and Sam's has a great inexpensive varity of crackers to serve with them also.

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by 4Ruddy on March 26, 2005 07:52 AM
I just remebered a Western themed wedding I went to and they did floral arrangements in cowboy boots & hats and placed horse shoes around. They also had an outhouse on the top of the groomscake!

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by tkhooper on March 26, 2005 08:29 PM
Hum,

I've always served the chicken cold. I never thought about trying to serve it hot. I bet that would be a pain, especially with 100 guests. Or I suppose you could do it ahead and serve it cold.

-
 -
by Sue Z on March 27, 2005 05:25 AM
Using the double wedding ring quilt as a table topper, is an EXCELLENT suggestion, TK ... keep those great ideas coming. [thumb]

[wayey]

-
by tkhooper on March 27, 2005 04:42 PM
I'm really glad to help anyway I can.

That silly idea for a cowgirl wedding cake is stuck in my head. I keep on seeing the necessary cut cake pieces in my dreams but keep getting stuck on how I would make the curled up brim. Seeing a tiera type decoration like the beauty queens from texas used to wear.

My mind has a mind of it's own ... and is it ever stubborn.

-
 -
by tkhooper on March 27, 2005 06:36 PM
I love the idea of floral arrangements in cowboy boots & hats. That would be so cute. My mom kept my little red cowboy boots from when I was just a baby for years.

I just thought of a dish that I used to do years ago. It was called a seven layer dip. Lets see if I can remember it.

Bottom layer tostado chips
Next ground hamburger cooked with taco seasonings
Then sour cream
Then chopped tomatoes
Then shredded lettuce
Then shredded cheese
Then salsa

Hey I remembered all seven. Also I remember that if I didn't put the chips on the bottom I could make the rest ahead and just add the chips around the outside at the last minute. Otherwise the chips got alittle soggy.

Someone mention ham earlier and that is a great idea. I know I can pick up a picinic ham for under twenty dollars that will last for weeks after it's been cooked. Course you need a really large pot for it if you boil it like I do. I prefer the salt cured ham rather than the sugar cured hams but that's just me.

I'm not fond of the cheese sticks/fried cheese type things but I do have some recipes if you like them.

By the way do you have a picture of what your wedding cake will look like. Maybe that will dump that idea out of my head if I see what you have ordered. I HOPE!!!!!!

-
 -
by tkhooper on March 27, 2005 10:51 PM
marzipan for the hat brim. I figured it out!!!!! Of course now you know I'm going to have to make it to make sure it works.

-
 -
by Jiffymouse on March 28, 2005 12:43 AM
you can also put tuna in the eggs, or bacon bits... (the "real" ones in the jar work nicely if you are pinched for time)

8 oz cream cheese mixed with 7 oz marshmallow cream makes a great dip for fruit...

trisket crackers with summer sausage and sliced colby jack cheese is very good to.

i think that this is a great idea.

also, tk, you could use fondant for the hat brim. i have a very easy fondant recipe it if you want to make it, (i'll post it in a minute) or you can buy it in the cake decorating section of most stores.
by tkhooper on March 28, 2005 02:32 AM
Thankyou Jiffy

great recipe;

I'm still trying to talk myself out of making this cake but since I have to do a key west lime sponge cake anyway I guess I'll just decorate that so that I get both of them out of my system at one time.

Can you believe this I live alone, after this cake I'm going to weight a ton. Hope everyone will come by and have a piece.

-
 -
by Dixie Angel on March 28, 2005 04:59 AM
I have been very busy since Thursday morning so I haven't been on-line to check out what is going on. I see everyone has been busy coming up with ideas and recipes for me! Thanks, Gang! Y'all are great!

Thursday morning my aunt and a friend came over so we could start with the decorations. We have made cowgirl hat centerpieces and western boot centerpieces. If we hadn't already done it, we would be doing it after seeing Vanessa's post. [Wink] If I can figure out how to post these, I will show you what happens when three women get together in a decorating frenzy. [Big Grin] I will have to check out one of the photo places that you all use or post them on my web-site. I don't have time tonight, but I will try sometime tomorrow.

Jim is going to make me a "hitching post" sometime in the next couple of weeks. I plan on keeping it to use as a centerpiece for a flower bed after the wedding is over. During the wedding, we will have two "stick" ponies tied to it! That ought to make for some good pictures.

Thanks for all the time and effort and advice that you all have given me. [kissies] I believe this wedding is gonna be the "hoe-down" of the century! [muggs]

Dianna

-
 -
by Sue Z on March 28, 2005 09:32 PM
Thanx for involving us in all the festivities, dixiangel ... this is FUN!!! [muggs]

Sue z [flower]
[wayey]

-
by Dixie Angel on March 28, 2005 11:57 PM
The thanks belongs to all of you. Y'all have been just great in giving me ideas.

TKH, if you make that stetson cake, be sure to post a picture. I wanna seeeeeeee!!!! [Big Grin] We are having a cascading cake with a cowboy and cowgirl topper.

-

You could always make your way to the house to do your creating. I mean....why waste the cake? [Big Grin]

Dianna

-
 -
by tkhooper on March 29, 2005 05:38 PM
Well if it turned out I could take it down to the greyhound bus station down stairs and have the landlord (he is very tall) ask the bus driver to carry it all the way down on his lap.

But your wedding cake is beautiful.

I suppose I could make it in chocolate and you could have it for a grooms cake. Let me rethink that...nah, way to girly for a grooms cake.

Well I don't have a camara...and the only thing I have ever taken a picture of is my thumb but I'll see what I can figure out ok? disposable camera.....develope film......send snail mail?

-
 -
by Dixie Angel on March 29, 2005 08:05 PM
quote:
Well if it turned out I could take it down to the greyhound bus station down stairs and have the landlord (he is very tall) ask the bus driver to carry it all the way down on his lap.

Wouldn't work, you know. The bus driver would get hungry! [Big Grin] You would need to come with the cake to ensure its safety. I could promise a party at the end of the trip..... [Wink] And will let you even sing the first song to get the karaoke at the start of the reception started! [muggs]

Have you got a scanner? You could always scan your pics and post them if you are really serious about making this cake. [Big Grin]

Dianna

-
 -
by tkhooper on March 30, 2005 12:52 PM
You are adorable.

I'm disabled and couldn't travel although getting to know you on the forum makes me wish I could.

Enjoy your day.

And if you and your husband ever come up virginia way let me know in advance and I'll have that cake for you.

-
 -
by Dixie Angel on March 30, 2005 02:50 PM
There are several people on this board that I would just love to meet and you are definitely one of them! Too bad that life and distance keeps us from traveling to our friends' homes. We all could have a blast together!

I love the idea of a hat cake. I may have to rethink the reception cake. Nawwww....I probably have enough on my plate right now without adding "baker" to the list. [Big Grin]

Dianna

-
 -
by Sue Z on March 30, 2005 07:33 PM
Awwwwww, what an adorable cake topper. [thumb]

[Wink] Sue z
[wayey]

-
by Dixie Angel on March 31, 2005 03:44 AM
Would y'all like to see more?

-

Dianna

-
 -
by weezie13 on March 31, 2005 06:03 AM
**Dianna,

Those are sooooooo cute!!!

I love it!!
You've done alot of work there!!

And it looks like it's going to be sooooo
much fun!!!!

**TK, I'll take some of that cake too!!
Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by tkhooper on March 31, 2005 07:49 AM
Is that the key west lime or the chocolate?

I do have the key west lime somewhere in the recipies section here. And would you want that with the petite fors type icing or the glaze that is more tradional for this type of cake?

-
 -
by tkhooper on March 31, 2005 07:51 AM
I hit the wrong button and it posted.

I can send the cake no problem, just not decorated. But if you want the key west lime you have to wait until I recieve my juice. For some reason it's been delayed, i've been waiting over a month for it.

-
 -
by Dixie Angel on March 31, 2005 04:14 PM
Weezie, BoNaDi didn't make the cake serving set, the pen set, the flutes, or the cake topper. We ordered them off of E-bay. I have no doubt that we could have, though. Where there's a will, there's a way!

I have decorated heart wreaths to go on the gazebo, if they ever get here to build it. I think it is supposed to rain the rest of this week, so I guess they are waiting on next week. [Frown]

TKH, you keep talking about all those delicious cakes and I might have to come kidnap you for the wedding! [Big Grin]

Dianna

-
 -
by tkhooper on March 31, 2005 07:00 PM
Packing kidnap bag!!!!!

Begging doctor for more pain medication so I can make the trip.

I promise to be there in spirit.

-
 -
by weezie13 on March 31, 2005 07:50 PM
Dianna,
[shocked] Ahhhh, NO [Frown] WAY [Razz] You had me going there.. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]
Even still, they do look good
and I'm sure you areeeeeee doing alot of work.
Putting it together is enough work...

Hey, your two [scaredy] states aren't that far away
from each other, are they???

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by tkhooper on March 31, 2005 08:20 PM
Nope not two far just North Carolina in the way lol.

The problem is that after about an hour in a vehicle my back feels like it is on fire. I have some compressed disks from a car accident years ago and they just don't put up with some things anymore.

Even sitting here in my nice cushy chair has to be done in increments.

-
 -
by weezie13 on March 31, 2005 08:26 PM
TK,
quote:
I have some compressed disks from a car accident years ago and they just don't put up with some things anymore.
You need to go get some "cement" in your back!!!
**Find one of those doctors that can do that for you..**

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Dixie Angel on March 31, 2005 11:20 PM
TKH, I understand about back problems. I have had problems with mine since I was around 23. Half my life! Pain killers are your very best friends sometimes.

Sitting in a car gets to me, too. When I am riding for a while, I can barely get out of the car when I get to where I am going.

Weezie, we ordered some of the miniature cowboy hats to do some some decorating with. I am thinking a corsage for Jim's mom, and a boutinerre (sp) for his dad. Those hats will help tie everything in together. My memory and guest books have pictures embossed of hats, rope, and hearts.

My aunt is making a "special" boot arrangement to honor my mother's memory. I am planning on having my son place it on her grave in NC when he goes back after the wedding. My favorite uncle died last year and we are remembering him by hanging one of his hats on the gazebo during the ceremony. I find myself being very emotional right now with missing their presence during this milestone in my life. I wanted my uncle to give me away.

My father and other passed loved ones will get arrangements made after the ceremony from the flowers we are using to decorate. Just a way of sharing the wedding with them.

Dianna

-
 -
by gardenmom32210 on April 01, 2005 03:37 PM
Thats a wonderful way to honor their memories [angel] It touched my heart!

G-Mom [grin]

Active Garden Forum