The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

The Aphids Are Back! AHHHH!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by plantlady19 on August 04, 2004 08:21 PM
Does anyone know of a good home remedy for aphids on ferns? [thinker] And yes, I am 99.9% sure they are aphids. Anything organic and non-toxic to everything except the little monsters [devil] would be wonderful. All help is appreciated. [Smile]

Rule like a Goddess.
Command like a queen.
Work like a slave.
by Pineapple_Raye on August 05, 2004 11:36 PM
1 tablespoon of liquid dishwashing detergent
1 cup of vegetable cooking oil.

To make spray mix 1 to 2 1/2 teaspoons of the oil/ detergent mixture with 1 cup of water.

Apply once every 7 days covering both side of leaves.

The next step is not really needed but it does help insure a complete 1st kill. After you spray your plants then take diatomaceous earth (fresh water) place some in a old sock. Tie the sock to the end of something like a broom handle. While holding the sock away from you take a switch and pop the sock. The DE will lightly float out and cover your plants. The oil will help hold it to the leaves.

BTW One year we got hit real hard with fleas and ticks. The sock/ diatomaceous earth did the trick. I put down about 5 pounds in the dogs area--about 80 feet by 50 feet. In the house I used 20 Mule Team Borxo Laundry soap. Worked that into all of the cracks etc in the funiture and into the carpet. 10 days later not a flea.
by Joley Belle on August 16, 2004 05:06 AM
man i wish u could send me ur amphids my fly trap just eats those up lol but if u use vinegar i think thaould work diluted with some water so it wont harm ur plants they dont like the smell of that stuff

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: