The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Cherry trees (container)

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Cherry Trees| Next thread: Chervil Pesto »
Back to Thread index
by gasdoctor on November 25, 2005 09:48 PM
Hi,

Ive planted my tree, I went for a Kensington planter in the end, lined with weed block fabric. I put a layer of washed rocks and perlite at the base. then used a peat compost and perlite potting mix.

Two questions:

1) Do I need to have a stake, the tree is about an 2 inches in diameter (trunk) so a cane seems pointless and a proper stake just falls over as the pot isnt that deep? Any ideas?

2)Its gonna be a cold winter (for the UK). Should i wrap the pot in insulation or will it be OK?

Any advice welcome, as its my first venture into container fruit.

Cheers

Ed
by tkhooper on November 28, 2005 07:44 AM
Ed I'm not positive but I think cherries are one of those that come in male and female. so you need two trees to get fruit. But I could be wrong so you might want to check that. I would probably bury the container in the ground but I don't know your situation. It might be one of those situations where the insulation can't hurt so it is better safe than sorry. Good luck with your tree.

-
 -
by obywan59 on November 29, 2005 01:44 PM
If the pot was on the ground you could pound stakes into the ground on either side and then tie the trunk off loosely to the stakes to keep it from blowing over or wobbling in the pot.

How cold do your winters get? Cherry trees are pretty hardy. Mine came through -5 degrees F. just fine last winter, though they were in the ground.

-
Terry

May the force be with you

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Cherry Trees| Next thread: Chervil Pesto »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: