The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Avocado Plants

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Avocado Plants| Next thread: avocado plants »
Back to Thread index
by tony on November 18, 2005 01:32 PM
Hello,
I am a new member and I have a question...
I am a novice gardener. Beginning this most recent summer, I started growing some Avocado trees - thanks to a posting made by a member on this site. Currently I have 5 that are approx 12 - 24 inches tall (some I pinched back and some I let grow to compare the results). Anyway, the 6 in. pots I started them in are no longer doing the trick. Their roots have gotten pretty full. My question is, though I read the repotting should be done in the spring, would it hurt to go ahead and repot at this time? Will it hurt the plant to remain in the 6 in. pot until next spring? Thank you to anyone who can help answer my questions...
by Longy on November 18, 2005 04:53 PM
Hi Tony, i don't believe it will be a problem either way. The tree has stopped growing as the days are getting shorter. It's coming into its dormant period. So you can transplant now if you want or leave it until the coldest of winter is over. Maybe do half now and half in Spring and see how much difference it makes.
If you use a liquid seaweed tonic before and after transplanting, the trees will not be as likely to be affected by transplant shock. Do the deed in the afternoon or on a cooler day, especially if rain is imminent.
Welcome to the forum.

-
The secret is the soil.
by Longy on November 20, 2005 07:07 PM
And by the way, if you do transplant now, don't allow the root system to become too wet thru winter or the roots may rot. Just keep the soil on the dry side of moist. No saucers constantly full of water under the pot.

-
The secret is the soil.
by tony on November 23, 2005 11:58 AM
Thanks a lot! I went ahead and transplanted them into some bigger pots. I chanced it without the liquid seaweed tonic (b/c I have no idea what that is) and hopefully it won't affect them much since they are indoors right now. Thanks again,

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Avocado Plants| Next thread: avocado plants »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: