The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

New Rose !!!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: New Rockgarden| Next thread: New Roses »
Back to Thread index
by Deborah L. on October 24, 2006 03:22 AM
I just bought the most beautiful rose I have ever seen.
It's called Shenandoah - a clear, beautiful red as I've never seen before. A soft red but not pinkish.
I'm planting it in a huge sage green ceramic pot.
The red is so different, almost gold red, hard to describe, not muddy at all, very clear and soft.
I'm pretty much jumping with happiness ! [flower]

-
 -
by rainie on October 24, 2006 06:46 AM
Sounds pretty - you'll have to post a pic - it's soo cold here in Ohio, I bought a really cool anenome hybrid bush that I put in a 3 foot concrete planter just last night - keeping my fingers crossed, it was $21 on sale - simply beautiful white flowers for the fall.
by Deborah L. on October 24, 2006 07:50 AM
Thanks, Rainie ! The anemone sounds gorgeous !
How cold is it there and are you close to Arcanum?

-
 -
by sibyl on October 24, 2006 10:54 AM
a new rose!its always exciting to get a new rose!
youll have to post a pic,

-
 -
by Deborah L. on October 24, 2006 11:32 AM
No digital cam ! Argh !

-
 -
by sibyl on October 26, 2006 03:17 AM
i know how frustrating that is! i need to invest in a dig-camra too.

-
 -
by TulsaRose on October 26, 2006 03:34 AM
Deb, your new Rose sounds gorgeous. I tried to find it through a Google search but came up empty. Is it a Floribunda, Tea or ???

I hope you ladies are able to acquire Digital cameras soon as you don't know how much fun you're missing out on. [Wink] Maybe Santa will be good to you this year.

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by Deborah L. on October 26, 2006 07:06 AM
It's a tea ! [flower]

-
 -
by TulsaRose on October 26, 2006 07:13 AM
WooHoo...I found it at Horsford Nursery. Looks like a beautiful choice and should do well in the ceramic pot. [Wink]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by Deborah L. on October 26, 2006 07:41 AM
Thanks ! I just looked at it.
And now here's a DUH... on me - I was trying to describe the color of the rose, and today noticed that the color of the rose in my name box is exactly the color of this rose !
(What do we call the name box?)
Also, I wonder why the website doesn't say if the Shenandoah is a tea, shrub, landscape, etc. ?

-
 -
by PartyGirl on October 26, 2006 04:00 PM
Deborah,

I got curious on this one because it didn't look like any tea rose I've seen. It looks like a floribunda (based on the text below which I forgot to get the URL, but I googled "National Parks Rose Collection") but that doesn't make sense to me...They are bred for cold hardiness in Denmark, but you're in So Cal!

The National Park Rose Collection®

A fine collection of Floribunda roses which where introduced and recently released by Poulsen rose breeders of Denmark. Selected for their cold hardiness, minimal care requirements and superior disease resistance.

PG
by TulsaRose on October 26, 2006 04:39 PM
Well, Deb, this gets curiouser and curiouser. [Big Grin] According to this website, Ruth's Garden Shop, the Shenandoah is a Floribunda and a bright salmon color. The Rose in your "signature button" is definitely red.

Having been bred for "cold hardiness" is a plus for our gardening friends in colder climates. [Wink]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by Deborah L. on October 30, 2006 01:27 PM
Maybe the color I'm trying to describe is professionally described as bright salmon.
It's the same color as my button though, that orangey gold red plus a touch of fuchsia.
A beautiful color.
It's NOT a floribunda though the flower is at the top of the plant as the site says.
The one flower it has since I bought it, is still on it, and not even browned at the edges. I have never seen a rose last so long and still be flawless !!!! WHAT A FIND !

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: New Rockgarden| Next thread: New Roses »
Back to Thread index