The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

tiny tiny buggies

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by zelinda on July 17, 2004 10:50 PM
My mint has been invaded by tiny tiny bugs!!!

Overnight, a fine web (like a spiderweb) appeared around the outer leaves and the rim of the container. These tiny bugs are slooowwly crawling up and down this web. What are they? What do I do?

[scaredy]
by zelinda on July 17, 2004 10:54 PM
P.S. There's thousands of these tiny bugs
by Phil and Laura on July 18, 2004 03:18 PM
These could be tiny,tiny spiders,OR tiny lil Spider Mites! get a magnifying glass and have a look!  -
by Nako on July 19, 2004 05:43 AM
I'm willing to bed that these lil bugs are spider mites, like Phil and Laura say. Whatcha can do is wipe em off with something wet. They hate moisture. The trick is to get rid of all of them. And don't worry about touching them. They can't hurt you; just your plant. My Dracania is covered in them right now, and every time i wipe them off, they come back the next day. That's becuase there's lil crevises they can hide in. So ya, whatcha can do is give it a soapy wash, or a regular wash. You can look that up on the search thingy here ^.^

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by zelinda on July 19, 2004 07:09 AM
Hi Guys,
Based on Phil and Laura's suggestion that these were either baby spiders or spider mites, I did a little more research. I agree with your diagnosis, Phoebe, I think they are spider mites. [Eek!]

My book says to spray them with forceful water 3 mornings in a row, same idea as wiping them with something wet, I think. Also to spray with insecticidal soap at least 3 times, 5-7 days apart.

I hope this works (for both of us [Wink] ).

Thanks for your help!!!
by plantlady19 on July 21, 2004 07:25 PM
EEEEEEE! [scaredy] Spider Mites! [devil] I hate those little guys! I wish you the best of luck in eliminating them. It seems like you got some good advice! [thumb]

Rule like a Goddess.
Command like a queen.
Work like a slave.
by plantlady19 on July 21, 2004 07:25 PM
EEEEEEE! [scaredy] Spider Mites! [devil] I hate those little guys! I wish you the best of luck in eliminating them. It seems like you got some good advice! [thumb]

Rule like a Goddess.
Command like a queen.
Work like a slave.
by zelinda on July 21, 2004 09:50 PM
Thanks everyone for your good advice. So far, so good. I'm checking for signs of spider mites every morning and spraying them with water. I've noticed a few on some other plants. I think they're just testing me to see if I'll find them there! [devil]

Anyway, I'm happy to report the infestation is much reduced. [grin]

Sadly, I had to cut off a lot of saggy, dry mint stems, but that grows back fast, so it's ok.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: