The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Japanese Beetles

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Japanese Beetles!| Next thread: Japanese Beetles »
Back to Thread index
by BFVISION on July 11, 2004 10:30 PM
This is the worst season I have ever seen for these beetles:nutz: . They are everywhere and in everything [scaredy] . Does anyone know how this can be prevented in the future or is it just a bad year? I have sprayed already which slowed down the destruction, and have hung a few bags around the yard, but I fear it is too late. I heard that now they are mating and laying eggs into the grass and I have too much yard to stomp [tears] . Any ideas out there [perplexed] ?

BFVISION

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2122269418&mode=guest
by weezie13 on July 13, 2004 04:11 AM
BFVISION,
quote:
and have hung a few bags around the yard
IMHO,
I think those bags draw more than they are worth.
I swear the summer my neighbor put those out,
we had a ba~zillion of them...
She's now moved away, and each year, they decrease in numbers *with no bag)

I can't give you a chemical solution, as I don't
use them, I'm the squwish type or soap~n~water or clip them up with my snippers type....

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Meg on July 13, 2004 04:39 AM
Well, I gotta say, I have never seen so many flipping beetles in my life! While I was out mowing my *jungle* (the back yard), I noticed them. On all the tall weeds (which was pretty much the entire yard). They were *mating*. There were *several* [shocked] [Mad]

I took great satisfaction in lifting the front of the mower up high, to the top of the weeds, and let it come crashing down on top of the buggers. [devil] The critters have been feasting on the leaves of my baby peach tree! Grrrr.

Meg

-
 -

I reject your reality, and substitue my own!
My favorite digital camera photos that I took.
My family, garden, and a bunch of misc. photos!
by pagarden on July 13, 2004 06:20 AM
LOL at you guys! i have seen some but not too bad here----yet. and i smiled when i read you snipped em with your scissors! LOL there was one in my beautiful calla just eating away! i had the scissors in my hand from the garden and i just shoved them right down there and snipped him right in half! LOL yea- we are pretty pathetic huh? getting enjoyment out of killing litle bugs! LOL
by NickN on July 13, 2004 03:14 PM
Hi,
Liquid sevin will help control the beetles on your shrubs,but the problem is more widespread.You have to treat your lawn also.You can spray diazinon or acephate on your lawn,as japanese beetles live as white grubs in the soil before maturity.They hatch,live as grubs,then turn to beetles,which in turn lay eggs in your soil(small holes in the turf)
and the cycle continues.
Hopefully,you can get your neighbors to do the same or they'll simply fly over to your shrubs from their property.Also,try not to do any pruning while the beetles are active this time of year,as they love the tender shoots and leaves that will sprout after pruning.
by plantlady19 on July 15, 2004 06:28 PM
This may sound really yucky ...
[shocked] ..ok, it is really yucky, but I've been told it works. Gather a bunch of the little suckers [devil] ,
toss 'em in your blender with some water and puree. Them spray this on you plants. Apparently, Japanese Beetles are repulsed by their own dead. Its safe and cheap, as well as effective. Just remember to wash the blender good before you make another protien shake or the protien level may be high than you want! [thumb]

Rule like a Goddess.
Command like a queen.
Work like a slave.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Japanese Beetles!| Next thread: Japanese Beetles »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: