The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Can Hostas grow back from broken roots?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by daylily77 on October 17, 2006 08:33 AM
Hi everyone,

I dug out 2 of my Hostas to give to neighbors, but I don't think I got *all* of the roots out of the ground (I got most though). My question is.. what are the chances of it growing back from the roots? I'm hoping that they won't because I'm planning on planting other things there. Thanks!
by kennyso on October 17, 2006 09:17 AM
I'm pretty sure they won't grow back fomr those root bits. Pretty sure hostas are as vigorous as mint when it comes to propagation via root bits. Of course, I could be wrong! BTW what did you do with the hostas?

-
 -

Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth
My Website My Blog
by daylily77 on October 17, 2006 10:25 AM
Thanks, Kenny! I gave them to my neighbors. [flower]
by netty on October 18, 2006 04:00 AM
I dunno daylily77 - it depends on how MUCH root was left there. We had 2 Hosta's stolen last fall (yes-STOLEN! The nerve of some people!) and this year there were 2 little Hosta plants growing where the others had been!

-
 -
by daylily77 on October 18, 2006 06:34 AM
Thanks for the info, Netty! I'm so sorry to hear about your Hostas being stolen. I'm glad that you got them back, though! I wonder if it was from the roots, or if maybe they dropped some seed when they were stealing them?
by netty on October 18, 2006 07:11 AM
It must have been root not seed - I cut the stalks off as soon as they are done blooming. Also, I have grown Hosta from seed before...it takes a L O N G time to get them big enough to do anything with!

-
 -
by johnCT on October 18, 2006 07:20 AM
Like netty said, it really depends on how much root was left behind. Hostas have large rootballs depending on the maturity of the plant and if part of the rootball gets left it may grow back. If there were only feeder roots left behind, it will most likely not grow back.

John - Zone 6
by daylily77 on October 18, 2006 02:38 PM
Thanks, Netty and John!

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: