The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

climbing hydrangea question..

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: climate zone?| Next thread: Climbing in containers »
Back to Thread index
by rainie on October 12, 2006 09:06 PM
I am considering planting some climbing hydrangea this spring. I know they are quite vigorous and will climb to 50 feet. Here is my dilemma: I live in a non-stone house, it will need to be painted in about 5 years - should I plant them to climb on the house? Are they the sort of plant I could cut down when I need to paint and scrape off the little pieces that will stick to the house, if I do cut it down, will it come back? I have a feeling I am asking for trouble [nutz] , but they would be so pretty climbing over my door on the front on the house [clappy] . Any thoughts?
by alankhart on October 13, 2006 12:16 AM
Climbing hydrangeas are rather slow growing and often take 3 or more years to even bloom. I planted two of them 3 years ago and they've just this year made it up to the top of the 6' wall I planted them against. So in 5 years you probably wouldn't have too much growth to cut back, and by doing so they may not bloom for a few more years.

-
 -
 -
by rainie on October 13, 2006 01:36 AM
I've actually been thinking more about it, I'm still toying with whether or not to do them over the door up front or to plant them in the back where they will grow over my screened in porch back by the shade garden - I guess I will see what my muse suggests this spring. I really want the door up front, but I'm afraid I'll have to wait another 3 yers when we paint, maybe I'll just plant two - have you ever had any luck propigating them from stem cuttings?

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: climate zone?| Next thread: Climbing in containers »
Back to Thread index