The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Something is eating my blossoms....?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by Chrissy on June 28, 2004 02:56 PM
Help, all of my flowers that are blooming are being eaten. I have no clue what the pest is that is doing the damage. I have slug traps everywhere, but I have never sprayed any pest chemicals on any of my gardens & I am beginning to think I am going to have to. Everything I have in my gardens that has a flower blossom on it is being attacked & eaten. Can anyone tell me what is doing this damage & what I can do to stop it from happening? Here are a couple of photos of the damage, it seems the pest likes to eat my cosmos & hollyhocks the most, but it is attacking everything with a flower. Thanks for any tips:)
 -
 -

-
 -
z5b
by Phil and Laura on June 28, 2004 03:22 PM
Chrissy, don't know, Ya Can't catch the lil Booger in the act huh? set out a sticky trap and see what Ya get, and Hey, save me some of the Malva's seed! Phil
by obywan59 on June 28, 2004 04:38 PM
Japanese beetles go for my Rosa rugosa flowers.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by weezie13 on June 28, 2004 04:48 PM
Are those bugs out yet??

Not up here yet! Thank~Goodness!

I'd go with the slugs???????????????????????
Go out at night????

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Chrissy on June 28, 2004 10:25 PM
Can slugs climb up plants & eat the flowers? All of the damage is being done to the flower petals & some of these flowers stand 2 foot tall or higher. I am seeing very little damage to the actual foliage....just the blossoms seems to be getting eaten by something. I even have a Clematis that is climbing an arbor & the blossoms are at least 7 foot off the ground yet they still have large bites out of them, while the green leaves of the plant are completely untouched. I have gone outdoors at all hours & have never caught the bugger that is doing it. It is making me crazy because I don't know what I am battling against here??
Chrissy

-
 -
z5b
by weezie13 on June 28, 2004 11:23 PM
Yes, slugs climb up plants!
But I do think they eat a bit of the leaves too??
Not totally 100% sure, wouldn't stake the farm on it.
I've seen them all the way up my Holihocks and Goldenrod's........

I do know that cutter bee's take pieces out, but they do take the leaves toooooooo!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, we'll have to keep the jury out on this one!!!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: