The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Tree Help

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Tree Aloes| Next thread: Tree help »
Back to Thread index
by Meg on April 20, 2005 01:57 PM
I have 2 Washington Hawthornes that I got from ADF last year. One is doing great, the other had a slow start, and was much smaller, but was starting to grow finally. I went out to weed & water, and found this-

-

Someone snapped off the center of the tree. There was no growth on the part that was snapped.. it was the center part, and all the growth was below it. Is there any hope this tree will be ok? Or should I dig it up now, and replant a new one? [Eek!] [Mad]

Meg

-
 -

I reject your reality, and substitue my own!
My favorite digital camera photos that I took.
My family, garden, and a bunch of misc. photos!
by obywan59 on April 20, 2005 03:36 PM
Those sprouts look healthy, I'd say it will do fine. You can either leave them all grow to have a multi-trunked tree or prune all but one if you would rather have a single trunk. If there was no growth on the part that was snapped off, it was likely dead anyway.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by Meg on April 20, 2005 03:50 PM
Thanks for the encouragement Terry. I was hoping that a break like that wouldn't kill the tree eventually.

Meg

-
 -

I reject your reality, and substitue my own!
My favorite digital camera photos that I took.
My family, garden, and a bunch of misc. photos!
by Jiffymouse on April 22, 2005 04:36 AM
terry is right. it'll be ok. i've had smallish trees do that to me before. i just let it grow up multi trunked till i saw which one would be the best... (or just left them, done that too!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Tree Aloes| Next thread: Tree help »
Back to Thread index