The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Catepillar

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Catapillar| Next thread: Catepillar on my Passion Vine.. »
Back to Thread index
by Sami on June 26, 2004 09:46 AM
Ok, so I was out just taking a look around the yard when this caught my eye. Now, I don't like this bush & he's more than welcome to just eat away at it but this is the biggest catepillar I have ever seen in my life. Anyone know what it is or will become? I couldn't quit taking pictures or him.

-  -  -

-  -  -

-
Talentless but connected.
by obywan59 on June 26, 2004 10:03 AM
It's a tomato hornworm. I've only seen a couple in the past 20 years. They both had a bunch of little cocoons sticking out of them. The cocoons were those of a parasitic wasp that lays it's eggs on the hornworm. When the eggs hatch, the larvae burrow into the hornworm and eat it from the inside out. So, if you ever see one like that don't kill it.
Scroll down to the 4th picture of tomato hornworms to see the cocoons.

The tomato hornworm is the larva of the moth known as the sphinx, hummingbird, or hawk moth. They appear at dusk in May or June, and I personally have mistaken them at times for hummingbirds as they too pause in the air to sip nectar.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by Sami on June 26, 2004 10:27 AM
I was just amazed. I didn't kill him, he looked so cool! Just freaked me out! I hope he kills the bush he was eating, LOL. I thought maybe they turned into those pretty Luna Moths. For some reason, I can't get to your link, could be my firewall.

-
Talentless but connected.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Catapillar| Next thread: Catepillar on my Passion Vine.. »
Back to Thread index