The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

The aphids took my baby!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by plantlady19 on June 24, 2004 09:09 PM
I have a beautiful asperagus fern that has never been outside a day since I've owned it. (Almost 2 years.) But somehow it has become host to hundreds of gross black aphids. [scaredy] I know I need to get rid of them before the damage worsens but I'm not sure what kind of pesticide to use, or what. Any help is appreciated.

Rule like a Goddess.
Command like a queen.
Work like a slave.
by plantlady19 on June 29, 2004 09:18 PM
nevermind. I think i got the little stinkers! hahahahaha! [muggs]
by Nako on June 29, 2004 11:01 PM
Good job ^.^ Sorry i didn't reply >.< i didn't know what to do though.

How'd you get rid of em?

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by plantlady19 on June 30, 2004 08:35 PM
Its ok. [thumb] Sometimes it is better to work things out on your own. [thinker] But to answer your question, I used watered-down houseplant insecticide, as at full strength, it was rough on my poor little fern. I sprayed every 4-5 days. Aside from that I was just vigilant, and kept their damage pruned off.

Rule like a Goddess.
Command like a queen.
Work like a slave.
by Meg on July 01, 2004 04:40 PM
I'm going to try the "natural" method. I have ordered something like 1500 ladybugs, and a pack of lacewing eggs that are due to hatch after arrival. If anything, that should take care of the dang things from spreading elsewhere around my house. *sigh* *watches anxiously for truck to come to house*

Meg

-
 -

I reject your reality, and substitue my own!
My favorite digital camera photos that I took.
My family, garden, and a bunch of misc. photos!
by plantlady19 on July 01, 2004 08:31 PM
I wish I could do the "natural" thing, but my fern is in my university's library and they don't take kindly to bug imports. *sigh* I hope it works for you though. [Wink]

Rule like a Goddess.
Command like a queen.
Work like a slave.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: