The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Fall blooming plants

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Fall blooming plants| Next thread: fall care »
Back to Thread index
by Curious Nick on October 08, 2006 12:41 AM
Gorgeous!

Look For the Good
Search For The Truth
Hope for The Best
by Patty S on October 08, 2006 12:45 AM
Wow, such profusion! They're lovely, Alan!

I really like that Hardy Mist Flower. Is that a bush, or are they just growing close together? I need some fall bloomers around here... all I have still have going are My dahlias, cosmos & roses. (The roses never quit unless we get a frost!)

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on October 08, 2006 12:54 AM
Very nice indeed, Alan!
And I'm so jealous of your pineapple sage - I grew it for many years, but our growing season is just not long enough for it to bloom while the hummingbirds are still around, so I've given up on it!

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by alankhart on October 08, 2006 01:01 AM
Patty- the Hardy Mist Flower (Eupatoreum coelestinum) is a spreading perennial...mine has spread out about 3 ft., so you gotta give some room!

Lynne- I planted that pineapple sage this spring..it was just a small plant and I had no idea it would get so large! If it makes it until next year I think I'm gonna have to move it.

-
 -
 -
by Patty S on October 08, 2006 01:22 AM
Do you know if that Hardy Mist is deer proof? I need something pretty (& invasive) on the slope above my Iris, but don't want to attract them. So far, I have things growing there that they don't like to eat.

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on October 08, 2006 01:28 AM
Alan - what zone are you in there?
I'm in zone 6.

I haven't tried planting them in the ground - I used pots so I could overwinter them, but it never worked - kept trying though! [thumb] [dunno]

-
 -
by ND farm girl on October 08, 2006 01:42 AM
Japanese Anemone - you have 2 listed - are the both this plant? White and pink?

I LOVE the Dazzling Stacy Mum!

PattyM
by ND farm girl on October 08, 2006 01:43 AM
Lynne - you have the cutest little guys on your signature line! Where do you get them? I still love the knitter - but I love fall and love the jumping in the leaves one.

PattyM
by plants 'n pots on October 08, 2006 01:50 AM
Thanks Patty! I just have waaaaaaaaay too much time on my hands [Embarrassed] , and do a lot of searching around on the internet! [dunno] [Embarrassed]

I'll see if I can find some special ones for you, ok?

-
 -
by alankhart on October 08, 2006 03:08 AM
PattyM- they are both Japanese Anemones...the white one is 'Honorine Jobert' and the pink one is 'Pamina'. I also have another pink single flowering one, but I can't remember it's name.

Lynne- I'm in zone 6b/7a depending on how warm the winter happens to be any given year. I had one overwinter for 2 years in my back yard but it died by the 3rd year.

PattyS- I'm not sure about them being deer proof...luckily, I don't have a deer problem. I'll try to find out for you.

-
 -
 -
by TulsaRose on October 08, 2006 03:10 AM
Beautiful pix as always, Alan. [thumb] That Mexican Sage is outstanding...does it come back for you every year or do you treat it as an annual? I tried it one year but it croaked during the winter. [tears]

I can see from your pictures I'm going to have to try the Pineapple Sage. That's a real eye-catcher and I bet the Hummers swarm all over it.

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by alankhart on October 08, 2006 04:57 AM
Rosie- so far the mexican sage has been perennial for me, but I suspect if we had a really cold winter it might not make it.

The hummers really do love the pineapple sage...I frequently look out the window to see if there's one dining on it.

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Fall blooming plants| Next thread: fall care »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: