The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

petit fours

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
« Prev thread: pet safe plants for kennel| Next thread: Petrocosmea »
Back to Thread index
by adirondack on March 11, 2005 02:52 AM
looking for recipes for petit fours.. [thumb]

-
Take time to enjoy life,especially the natural/simple things.
We only have one life to live,we weren't put here to stress out.
by tkhooper on March 17, 2005 08:06 PM
Hi,

I have a recipe hope it will do for you. If you have a white cake recipe that holds together very well you can use that instead;

White cake:

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cups buttermilk or sour milk
1/2 cup shortening, margarine or butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 egg whites

Over 350 degrees F

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add buttermilk, shortening, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl. Beat on medium to high speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Add egg whites and beat for 2 minutes more, scraping bowl. Pour into a greased and floured 13x9x2 inch baking pan. Cook 40 to 45 minutes until done. Cool thoroughly. cut cake into desired shapes traditional diamonds, retangles ect. brush off all crumbs.

Petit fours icing

3 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups hot water
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon clear vanilla flavoring or vanilla
Approximately 4 cups sifted powdered sugar
food coloring optional

In a medium sauce pan combine sugar, water, and cream of tartar. Bring mixture to boiling over a medium-high heat, stirring constantly till sugar dissolves. Reduce heat to medium-low. Clip a candy themometer to the side of the saucepan. Cook until themometer registers 226 degrees F, stirring only as necessary to prevent sticking. Remove saucepan from the heat. Cool at room temperature, with out stirring, to 110 degrees F ( allow about an hour)

Add vanilla. Stir in enough powdered sugar to make a drizzling consistency. If necessary, beat icing with a rotary beater or wire whisk to remove any lumps. If desired stir in a few drops of food coloring.

Place cake pieces on wire rack over waxed paper. insert a 2-3 prong fork into the side of one cake piece. Holding the cake over the icing pan spoon enough icing over the cake to coat the top and sides. Let the pieces dry for about 15 minutes on the wire rack. Repeat the process a second and third time but placing the cake pieces on top of the fork rather than spearing the cake pieces. All I can say is that if you do this you must love someone very much. good luck.

-
 -
by adirondack on March 23, 2005 04:27 AM
thank you so very much.... [thumb]
wildman will love these.
cindy lou
[grin]

-
by tkhooper on April 12, 2005 03:04 PM
Your very, very welcome

I love talking about food almost as much as I like learning about gardening.

-
 -
by gardenmom32210 on April 12, 2005 03:13 PM
Petit fours are my 1 indulgence! I don't eat cakes and candy,so I love finding these things. Now I can make them myself [thumb]

Thanks

G-Mom [grin]
by adirondack on May 08, 2005 04:03 AM
they are yummy- i call them cheater cakes... [Wink]

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: pet safe plants for kennel| Next thread: Petrocosmea »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: