The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Japanese Beetles!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Japanese Beetles| Next thread: Japanese Beetles »
Back to Thread index
by afgreyparrot on June 22, 2004 03:00 AM
I put "Japanese Beetles" in the search on this site, and came up with notta. (Did I spell it wrong?)

They are destroying EVERY beautiful plant I have! I used to spend hours a day squishing them between my fingers (that black, gooky stuff is pretty gross!), but there are WAY too many, and I don't have time for that squishing anymore.

Help!

Cindy

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by obywan59 on June 22, 2004 06:36 AM
I've never tried it, but I've read of something you could try. Kind of gross though. Gather a bunch of Japanese beetles and puree them in a blender (preferably an old one) with some water and then strain it after a while and spray it on infected plants. The idea is that some of the beetles will have diseases and this will infect others that ingest the spray.

Or, Gardens Alive has a product called Surround that you spray on plants and it forms a kind of gritty barrier that bugs don't like to eat. Like coating your salad greens with sand. It's made from a white clay that's not harmful to humans--even if you eat it. They also have another product called Pyola that you spray to actually kill the beetles.
It's made from canola oil and pyrethrins (from pyrethrin daisies)

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by afgreyparrot on June 22, 2004 02:30 PM
Terry,
I saw something similar to that on "Fear Factor" last night!!! [Big Grin]

Cindy

-
 -
 -
by plantlady19 on June 30, 2004 08:53 PM
You can also try sitting milk jugs outside around your plants and fill them 1/4 full with a sweet substance that appeals to plant munching bugs. It works for me, but I would also suggest spraying something on the plant to stop the munching. The clay thing sounds good and less gross than the puree bug thing.

Rule like a Goddess.
Command like a queen.
Work like a slave.
by weezie13 on June 30, 2004 10:38 PM
Cindy,
I just did a FORUM SEARCH and came up with about 14 posts!!!
Japanese Beetles FORUM SEARCH

I think you typed it into the GARDEN SEARCH

Maybe?????

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by afgreyparrot on June 30, 2004 11:13 PM
Yep! That'd be what I did alright!

Those nasty things are driving me crazy!
(And I don't need anymore "crazy"!)

-
 -
 -
by moondance on July 06, 2004 04:27 AM
When I first saw the beetles I thought wow! that is surly one of he prettiest beetles I ever saw. Now-I hate them! Got those bug bags all over the yard. Realized that you have to put them far far away from your plants-I was placing them close, neecless to sy those bettles zoomed right in on the plants. Tried picking them off and dropping them in soapy waer. Covered my grapes with bridal tullie which saved them. I spray them with tobbaco tea and soap. That seem to deter them somewhat. But I think that I might have to use severn dust-don't want to. sigh. I rally hate those preety beetles!
by Bestofour on July 06, 2004 04:43 AM
I ended up using 7 dust on my rose bushes. It rained. I went out today and one of my rosebushes is striped bare. Those beetles are awful.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by pagarden on July 06, 2004 04:45 AM
yup- they are out here too. destroyed one of my calla flowers! little bugger! anyhow- i heard that the bags are actually so strong that they really attract more bugs to your yard. just what i heard though...... i haven't had too many. just a few and i pick them off and just step on them.
by Bestofour on July 06, 2004 05:17 AM
We used the bags at our other house and I do think it attracted more beetles. We had a river birch tree right in front of our house and it was a constant fight to keep those awful things off.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Japanese Beetles| Next thread: Japanese Beetles »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: