The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Seeking help with pumkins please.

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Seeds vs. Starters| Next thread: Selecting a Cherry Tree »
Back to Thread index
by glumyeeyore26 on September 10, 2005 06:52 AM
I planted 3 types of pumpkins in the spring only 2 came up. One of them is vining out like it should the other is just sitting there in a bush like form. I have had very few flowers on them and it's September. I have used Miracle grow on them once a week almost all summer. I also water when the soil is dry and weed when I can. This is my very first garden. Am I doomed to have no pumpkins this year? I looked out there today and researched to figure out I have all male flowers out there. My tomatoes and bell peppers didn’t produce where much. My peas took off but did not get very tall but had enough to make three dinners with and my green beans did fairly well till I discovered I didn't like fresh ones as well as processed. I pulled my peas and beans first then the tomatoes I just pulled. Oh and I had lettuce which dehydrated with the first hot day we had here my onions chives and carrots did not come up at all [Frown] I am discouraged to say the least. Help if you can please.

Rush jobs you want it bad you get it bad. The worse you want it the worse you get it. So how bad do you want it?
by weezie13 on September 10, 2005 08:43 AM
Glumyeeyore26,

quote:
Miracle Grow on them once a week almost all summer.
What were the numbers on the container...????...
If it had a high front or first number,
you'll only promote GREEN LUSH GROWTH,
not much flowering action..

I use Schulz Plus 10~60~10...
The high middle number encourages flowering
and fruit/production.....
(**The first number on any fertilizer is for green growth, middle number is for flowering and fruit production and rooting, and the last is for help with good over all health of the plant.**)

quote:
I am discouraged to say the least.
DO NOT BE DISCOURAGED!!!!
You stick around here, and we'll have you
being a gardening pro in a season or two..
DO NOT DISPAIR!!

Go and make posts on individual things you had problems with and each gardener will come thru
that they are good or knowledgeable on and they'll give you some pointers and some hints
and tips....FOR SURE...

Patients' Grasshopper...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by weezie13 on September 10, 2005 08:58 AM
Also, when you post,
tell us for each one's what you did for them..
As far as..........

Growing conditions...
Soil/Dirt,
ie: kind, planted in the garden soil,
or bought bagged dirt/soil...
And how it was planted,
ie: in the garden, or in containers/pots..

What types of fertilizers' *other than the MG*.
~What time did you do it? Day, night, after noon.

What were your watering practices?
~What time of day did you water?
ie: Morning, afternoon, evening..
~How did you water? Hose w/ sprayer, drip irragation, rain water w/ watering can???

How much sun, each plant/variety recieved???

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by glumyeeyore26 on September 10, 2005 11:20 PM
As far as water goes I go out every evening I have to much to do in the mornings. I'm a stay at home mom but that doesn't mean I stay home. HE HE !

As far as soil it's really rocky so I pulled out as many rocks as I could get and pull them as I see them.

As far as the hose I use the hose attachment that came with the Miracle Grow. I don't know what the numbers are on the box since I ran out. Other than that I use my thumb or flood it. I know it's not over watered.

As far as planting some were bought in containers which I pulled out broke up the roots a little and planted then directly in. The ones I could do from seed like the pumpkins I put them right in. They got off to a great start but fizzled out.

They get plenty of sun my garden is not shaded until mid to late evening. It's in my back yard (the west side of my home).

My biggest concern is the pumpkins. I am worried I will not have any for Halloween. The other plants I listed were just to give you an idea of what I did this year.

I have been extremely limited with finances so I have not been able to get other fertilizers and other soil ammenities. I can not do compost here as there isn't much to put in a pile other than grass and a few tiny veggie scraps from the kitchen. Plus I was limited with time to get the soil ready we moved here May 1st this year. I planted about two weeks later.

Next year if I can afford it I will put tomatoes and peppers in large containers and turn the garden into a pumpkin/cucumber patch.

Rush jobs you want it bad you get it bad. The worse you want it the worse you get it. So how bad do you want it?

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Seeds vs. Starters| Next thread: Selecting a Cherry Tree »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: