The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Groundhog advice!!!!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Ground Hogs| Next thread: grouping of vegetables »
Back to Thread index
by pagarden on June 21, 2004 10:27 PM
so i am outside just a minute ago and my neighbors little girl walks over and says "Oh i didn't know you had a groundhog in your garden." she loves all animals! my other neighbor cought a squirrle in the cage and she came over and let him out! [Mad] anyhow i ran back there and he ran down a hole in the bushes! he was eating my poppies! the lady behind me has a big one living under her house- she doesn't mind them! [Roll Eyes] so this one looked small so i am guessing it's the baby. i don't want to spray repellant cause maybe i'll just chase him further up in my yard for a new home! so i am thinking about getting a cage to catch it and them release it far away from here. how far do i need to take it so it doesn't find it's way here again???? and what can i put down the hole so nothing else finds it's home there? i was going to shove rocks and sand but what else can i put as a deterrant for the next visitor? and what can i put in the cage to attract the groundhog?
by weezie13 on June 22, 2004 12:56 AM
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD LUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!

If I could write that any bigger I would!

I have a momma and 3 round lil fur balls,
*and they are soooooooooo cute, really they are,
but if I could grab one and strangle it myself,
I realllllllllllllllllllly think I would.
*And I am NOT a vicious person in any sense of the matter except under EXTREME CONDITIONS DO I GET RILED UP TO THAT EXTENT, AND EVEN I DON'T WANT TO BE AROUND.
But, They have been reaking havoc in my yard, under my husbands' shed, my green house, the front porch and my mother's shed.

Putting rocks in won't help, cause they will just dig around them and make a new hole! [Mad]

And where I live in town it's illegal to shoot 'em, so, that option is out for me......

And we tried the traps, it was quite hilarious
we caught one about 3 hours into putting one out, and husband and his father, came to pick it up to put it in the country and as they picked it up, the weight of the animal shifted and the trap door went open, and ouuuuuuuuuuuut he flew! Go figure! [Roll Eyes] Then the next morning, 3 of the 4 babies *this was last year* were sitting on top of the cage surveying the property for the "Good Eats of the Day" with their better VIEW [perplexed]

However, I was just talking with someone the other day, and they suggested taking a car, tractor, lawnmower, something that runs and hook up the exhaust to the holes/tunnels and when the smell of the exhaust gets into the dirt, they don't come back, nowwwwwwwwwwww I haven't tried this, so I don't know?? [dunno] If it's under your house, I probably would say NO to that idea, just to be safe I guess....

I'm using some large wild rose canes I cut up to deter them a bit, but it's not doing toooooooo much...

I'm ready to try anything really at this point.

And I'll be watching this thread too to see anything good!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by weezie13 on June 22, 2004 12:59 AM
In the animal traps they like
Apples,
Lettuce,
Donuts,
Corn,
Strawberries [tears]
Morning glories [Mad]
Bachelor buttons [Frown]
Fruits or Veggies...

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by pagarden on June 22, 2004 05:02 AM
well, thank you for the warning. [grin] i am trying to stay hopeful. down the street the lady had to redo her whole front porch cause they destroyed the foundation! she said she caught 5 of them- 4 were babies and let them loose over the river. that was over a year ago and they haven't returned. but then again i have heard all sorts of horror stories about how cages don't work either. so i am just trying to be optimistic. we borrowed a neighbors cage and we'll try it tomorrow. i'll let ya know......
by jackies on June 26, 2004 04:20 PM
i am having the same problems, destructive little
fur balls....i have no plants left to enjoy..unless i buy & plant more. the family enjoys larkspurs,petunias& lantanas...i have tried
strawberrys,apples,watermelon,bananas,in two traps
no luck....if anyone has any other suggestions,
please clue me in. frustrated in blue ridge mtns.

jackie
by plants 'n pots on June 26, 2004 04:34 PM
We also have this problem - here they are called woodchucks though...

Two summers ago, my husband borrowed a trap from a neighbor. He put broccoli in it and mangaged to catch all 4 babies in the trap at one time!!!
How stupid are they?!? [nutz] [dunno] [perplexed]
He relocated them to a beautiful lake area about 20 minutes away.
Three hours later, he managed to catch the mother - this time he added PEANUT BUTTER to the broccoli - someone had told him they love that...
and off he went with her to the lake to meet up with her babies! [thumb]
He CANNOT however get the BIG FAT - did I say FAT?!? father woodchuck to go into the trap - the beast just manages to get the food every time and escapes being trapped!!! [Mad]

Last summer between the woodchucks and the deer I gave up gardening 1/2 way through the summer!!! [Eek!] [tears] [Frown]
I simply could not afford to keep purchasing plants that were only serving to be their food and nothing more - it was EXTREMEMLY DEPRESSING!!!

Weezie... I'm right there with ya as far as wanting to do these critters in - I wouldn't hurt a fly normally...
but THIS IS WAR!!!

My husband's been very busy this year, and hasn't had a chance to set the trap yet - the big ol' fat father woodchuck of course is here in all his glory WITH A NEW FAMILY OF COURSE!!! They sun bathe on the ramp to the shed, burrow under it, and are starting to eat the plants - not too much damage so far (CROSSING FINGERS REALLY REALLY HARD NOW!!!), but I'm waiting for the morning that I go out there and everything is gone!

By the way... Milorganite does help to deter both the deer and the woodchucks for a little while - until we get hit by a hard rain like last night.

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by pagarden on June 27, 2004 05:56 AM
well, he hasn't gone in it yet... [tears] they are hanging out by the neighbors yard lately. i am debating with myself if i should set the trap in her yard. she knows they are there but doesn't mind them- i however do not want them coming in my yard! [Mad] they live in her shed. i don't know- i'll see what happens.
by pagarden on July 06, 2004 04:41 AM
update--- caught 3 of them!!!! YAY! i think there was only 3 living in there- a mom (or dad i suppose) and 2 babies. we finally did sneak in the neighbors yard and put the cage by her shed. she never did catch us. but we caught 3 groundhogs! LOL my husband drove them about 5 miles away and let them go- but they'd have to cross 2 rivers to get home so i am hoping they aren't that ambitous! he released them all in the same spot hoping they'd find each other. i honestly felt bad for the adult- i couldn't look at it more than a minute cause i might have been tempted to let him go. they are sort of cute, my kids loved them, and the adult was missing an eye and had grey hairaround it's mouth. [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] i told my husband to hurry and go release it before i felt bad for it. anyhow- i haven't seen any more in days so i am thinking that was the last of them! [Smile]
by weezie13 on July 06, 2004 05:32 AM
We had the strangest thing happen yesterday, we mowed just our back lawn and the kids came yellin', WOODCHUCK! Dead Woodchuck!!

It was upside down on it's back, starting to bloat and couldn't tell what it died of????
No gun shot, not squwished, no foamin' at the mouth?????
Just dead! [perplexed]

Wierd!

Anybody come sneakin' into my yard??? [scaredy]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Ground Hogs| Next thread: grouping of vegetables »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: