The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Finally, Tomatoes!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Meg on September 08, 2005 06:57 PM
 -

They are mostly the tiny tim tomatoes that came with the wonder egg kit. I have romas that are just starting to produce, and brandywine, that are just starting to flower. I don't know if I'll see any of those. [Roll Eyes]

-
 -

I reject your reality, and substitue my own!
My favorite digital camera photos that I took.
My family, garden, and a bunch of misc. photos!
by weezie13 on September 08, 2005 07:17 PM
Meg,
Your tomato plants *and tomatoes*
look extremely healthy!!!

and I have had only 2 tomatoes *of my Beefsteak*
ripen....although 2 more are in the running
right as we speak *type*, one of which is HUGE,
I think it's a double tomato..

I have to get a picture of that one today,
if I remember...

Thanks for sharing those. [thumb] [Cool] [clappy]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by johnCT on September 08, 2005 07:27 PM
Wow, those must have gotten planted late huh. Great looking plants though. Very healthy. Hopefully you'll get at least a couple small brandywines. They are fabulous tomatoes.

John - Zone 6
by weezie13 on September 08, 2005 07:48 PM
I know mine did.
Very late..

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by ChristinaC on September 08, 2005 08:59 PM
Hi Meg [Smile]
Beautiful looking romas!! Isn't it so exciting to see something you raised from a little wee seed to a beautiful, healthy plant?!?! [clappy]
Enjoy!!
Christina

-
 -
by Meg on September 08, 2005 09:21 PM
Yea, I started the seeds inside, early.. but they went kerplop & died, 3x on me. I didn't have adequate light, etc. I finally got them going good the last time, and got them in the ground. I had gotten the brandywine seeds later.. and again, started them indoors, and planted them WEEKS later than the other ones already outside. Then for awhile, when it was super hot this summer, the tomatoes kinda went dormant like. Not growing, no flowers.. I think it was just too hot for them.. near 100, plus humid, just couldn't be out there, and so little rain. It was bad for a few weeks. But when it finally broke, they started growing again, and did they ever start to flower! The brandywine is just now starting to grow a bit, and has 1 flower, and a couple of buds where there will be flowers. The one flower on it, isn't quite fully open tho.. so still not sure how long till it'll be done, plus, being so late.. I don't know if it'll get to produce anything. [Roll Eyes]

-
 -

by ChristinaC on September 08, 2005 09:38 PM
Well I'm in Southern Ontario and our weather has been very similar to yours. My tomato plants don't look near as healthy as yours but I sure got a huge crop out of them. My green pepper plants are producing their second crop and like you, I'm concerned I won't get any more. Lets just keep our fingers crossed...never know...maybe this year, we're in for a looong summmer. Sure was hot yesterday!! (Haven't been out there today...lazy)
Christina
Good Luck with everything Meg!

-
 -
by johnCT on September 08, 2005 10:09 PM
Yeah, not a great year weather-wise here in the Northeast either. We went from the 50's all through May straight into the 90's in June.

John - Zone 6
by johnCT on September 08, 2005 10:11 PM
BTW Meg, I start all of my seeds, including tomatoes, under flourescent 4 foot shoplights. You can buy them at HD for less than $10. Provides more than enough light for seedlings.

John - Zone 6
by Meg on September 08, 2005 10:36 PM
Yea, I had trouble finding a portable type light, but finally found one.. that's when I had success. [Wink] [thumb]

Meg

-
 -

by weezie13 on September 08, 2005 10:41 PM
I had trouble finding
my way from the greenhouse,
to the garden... [Embarrassed] [Wink] [Big Grin]

Too much too do and start in the
spring..
Spring should be about 4 months long..
*where it's seed starting weather,
outside..*

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by ChristinaC on September 08, 2005 11:05 PM
I agree with Weezie about being a lot of work starting seeds but the summer didn't come soon enough for me. May was cold here and all my plants were more than ready to get in the garden. Perhaps I started them too early??
Christina

-
 -
by Tamara from Minnesota on September 09, 2005 08:00 AM
I wish my plants were so healthy! I have fungi living in the soil every year and so I am done with my crop just when you are starting!

-
by weezie13 on September 09, 2005 08:08 AM
Mine are that way too Tamara from Mn..
But, luckily, I plant enough,
just to eat and give some away to family,
friends and neighbors..

That's half the reason I'm waiting for
that one huge one to finish ripening
before I take it's picture..
The back ground is horrible.. [Mad] [Razz]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Sorellina on September 10, 2005 02:35 AM
Christina,

Where in So Ont are you? I'm in North York and the tomatoes are now bouncing back from the heat and stupidity we had earlier in the summer. Most of the ones that didn't get hit hard and die (I've pulled 6 container plants so far) are back in leaf/stem/flower production and have set fruit high on the plants. Soon I'll have to get the boyfriend to harvest for me!

When did you start your seeds? I have to resist starting my seeds around St Pat's Day because I know if I do that, the plants will get leggy and spindly and possibly damaged before they make it into the garden. I started most of my seeds Easter Week this year and that turned out to be almost perfect. I don't use grow lights, just a sunny south-facing window and they seem to do just fine.

Cheers,
Julianna

-
by ChristinaC on September 10, 2005 09:44 AM
Julianna,
I'm in Sarnia. I started my seeds mid March..yes..too early I suppose but unfortunately I got a little hasty. My plants got spindly but it didn't take them long to bounce back once I got them in the garden. They had a rough season because of the weather but I'm quite happy with their production!!! [Smile] I use fluorescent lights..I don't have a good south facing window in my house. They get their own room and it was a good thing this year because they ended up needing a lot of space!!!
Christina

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: