The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

nasturtium question...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by MissJamie on April 10, 2006 11:39 AM
hey ya'll! I have some seeds for a couple of nasturtiums and I really want to grow them but I've never grown them before...are they vines? are they invasive? do I need to provide support or anything for them to climb on? any good tips for somebody that's never grown them? should I scarify/stratify them any or just plant them in dirt and water and give sun like any other ol' seed? I can't wait to grow them! (especially the one's I have that are called nasturtium 'peach melba' [thumb] )

-
 -
*~*Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went nuts.
*~* http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2125497034
by Michael15r on April 10, 2006 11:48 AM
I have a nasturtium bag FULL. I planted them last year and they did good. They were kinda of like perennials in my area. Because they didn't die on the first killing frost. But I was tired of them because they were growing in my sunflower side of my garden. So I pulled them. I forgot if they were viney, but I didn't use any supports. They were fine they didn't need any support because they are ground covers. Their leaves get pretty BIG.. LOL..

Anyone else want to add anything else!.. I know there much more!

A Sunflower Garden #7
Check out my website.
by Carly on April 10, 2006 11:49 AM
They are not like vines, but I guess you could climb them if you put your mind to it.

They are something like 'moonflowers'.

I find nasturtiums grow slowly - for me they do, anyway.

-
When sorting seeds, do not whistle.
by MissJamie on April 10, 2006 12:00 PM
thanks ya'll!

-
 -
*~*Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went nuts.
*~* http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2125497034
by melcon6 on April 10, 2006 06:02 PM
Isn't that funny, I DO find them to be vine-like, crawling all over the herb garden. They start off slow, but then they really take off.
I like them, the flower is edible, great on salads, but beware the aphids like them too./ [Razz]

They are annuals and it's very easy to collect seeds from them for next year. [thumb]

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by tkhooper on April 11, 2006 12:38 AM
I found them to be very aggressive and to be willing to twin around anything that wasn't moving. They only get about 18 inchs long though. I grew them last year and decided not to grow them this year. They just weren't a flower I liked. I had to prune a bunch inorder to keep them looking good.

-
 -
by dodge on April 11, 2006 07:08 AM
NASTUR....
I FIND THEM TO BE SO CUTE , ALSO THEY DRIVE THE BEATLES OR BUGS AWAY , I WAS TOLD..
I PLANT MINE IN A CONCRETE PLANTER THAT SETS ON THE GROUND, AND LET THEM HANG OVER THE SIDES.. NOT AGGRESIVE TO THE POINT OF NOT RETURN.. THEY GROW NICE IN OUR ZONE AND DIED WHEN THEY FREEZE..iS THAT AGGRESSIVE?
I JUST STARTED SOME OVER MY HEATING CABLE , JUST LAYED THEM ON TOP OF THE SOIL..GREW IN ABOUT 3 DAYS......
I LIKE THEM.

DODGE [Cool] [Cool] [Cool]

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''

Active Garden Forum