The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

veggies for fall garden

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by monajean on September 04, 2005 09:45 AM
I would like to plant a fall garden. I live in North Central Arkansas. Can I plant SugarSnax carrots and kholrabi? What else can I plant?
Monajean
by tkhooper on September 04, 2005 12:22 PM
definitely lettuce, I think. I'm a newbie so maybe I better keep my mouth shut here. But I think that is a spring fall crop.
by Tamara from Minnesota on September 05, 2005 10:45 AM
I gave this link before to someone wanting to plant in fall:
Territorial seed company
They have info on fall gardens and stuff to buy. I just ordered garlic. Carrots and kohlrabi were definitely in their fall catalog! [Wink]

-
by monajean on September 06, 2005 12:02 AM
thanks for the info. Even though I've been gardening for about 3 years I've mostly done beans,cukes and tomatoes. This year I also planted eggplants that did wonderful but my red and yellow peppers never turned colors. I planted them the middle of April, peppers grew great but stayed green, finally picked them in August. Would appreciate any help with that problem.
Monajean
by johnCT on September 06, 2005 08:55 PM
Plant garlic for next year's harvest. Maybe wait until Oct for that though. Also, beans, lettuce, and radish!

John - Zone 6
by ladybug67 on September 06, 2005 11:17 PM
Hello,
I was wondering i live in zone 5 Mass. If the beans are done for the season? i don't have any flowers on them?? Do I need to plant more? Or will the flowers start up again? lol I not sure about the beans(string). thank you dee

being a mom is the best job their is and hardest too!!! lol
by obywan59 on September 07, 2005 02:09 AM
It's probably too late to plant any more beans for the fall. Sometimes you can stimulate new growth and blossoms by fertilizing. You can sidedress with a dry fertilizer and water it in, or spray with a foliar fertilizer. I use a spray called Fertrell 3 that is a blend of fish emulsion and seaweed.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by tkhooper on September 07, 2005 04:03 AM
Territorial sure has some expensive seeds. I guess I'm used to the ones I get at the dollar store. Or is it because of the big storm. Were a bunch of seed catalog companies wiped out?
by monajean on September 08, 2005 10:29 PM
Thanks, everyone, for the help. I just ordered garlic, kolhrabi and carrots for Territorial Seed Company. And yes they are high but I can't find Kolhrabi seeds here, plus wanted to try their garlic. Wanted some 1015 onions but they were out for 2005. Will try them next year.
Monajean
by Amigatec on September 10, 2005 08:28 AM
I planted Broccoli, Califlower, Cabbage, and plan to plants greens and spinach.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.

Active Garden Forum