The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

pea plants??

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Pea plant stem| Next thread: Pea's »
Back to Thread index
by ladybug67 on September 01, 2005 12:30 AM
Hello, i need some help, I have grown some peas(snap peas i think) from a seed so, i could start a cooler crop after my cucumber are done and they are(just mulched the other day and mix them in my compost pile and trash can hope it helps it) any way here is a dumb question, Do i dig up and turn the soil where the cucumbers were and wait a bit or can i just go and plant the peas(they are about two or three inches high) is that ok to plant them at that height??and should i but in a trelles for them to grow up on now? Or some compost or plant soil that was sat all summer? What can i plant next in where the cantalope plants where cause they are about done too. I have some small pepper plants with small peppers(bell) too and when is a good time to pick them before it gets to cold here in Mass.Oh and the same with the tomatoes plants too, which were late riping and i have lots of green cherry tomtoes to go and they are still turning and when are they done too? thanks, sorry so long!!! Oh one more thing i bought the pepper plants at a store, well i have some pepper plants on my porch that i planted from a seed and they are small but have flowers and some with peppers ( the bell mix ones), the one with the peppers on it has this very light green or white color peppers that are growing straight up, not down?? Is that right? i think it is weird to see. Thanks for any help, and sorry its so long. Danielle

being a mom is the best job their is and hardest too!!! lol
by Kurlie77 on September 01, 2005 01:01 AM
What kind of pepper is the kind that is growing straight up? That is weird! I'm sorry I can't help you with any of your questions, I'm not a very experienced gardener. I am surprised however that you can start new crops at this time of year, and in Massachusettes!
by Longy on September 01, 2005 02:21 AM
For your peas, they prefer a well tilled soil so the roots can get thru easily, so yeah, turn it over. Throw in a bit of compost too. Always a good idea. Before you do so, add a handfull to the square yard of dolomite or garden lime.If you give this a week to 10 days at least to start working, it'll be worth it. You may like to plant some pea seed straight into the ground too, i've found they do better than transplanted ones. It's best to put up the treliis before planting out so you don't disturb the seedlings.

Plant anything which is not in the cucurbit family where the cantaloupes were. Maybe broccoli or cabbage, brussels sprouts etc (brassica family).
Your tomatoes and peppers will be OK until the first sub freezing temperature. If you get a frost, they're done for. The tomatoes will ripen still if you pick the whole plant and hang it in a warm place. Or just make a green tomato and pepper pickle or chutney. Yummo.
Dunno about those upside down peppers. maybe they belong in Australia?
Use all the pulled rubbish for a massive compost heap.

-
The secret is the soil.
by Tamara from Minnesota on September 01, 2005 08:51 AM
The peppers are ok. Sometimes the stems get in the way of the growing peppers and the peppers grow whichever way they can. They might be misshapen if they have a small spot to grow in and they grow big.

-
by ladybug67 on September 01, 2005 11:03 PM
Kurlie77,
i planted them from a seed and they are a bell (mix color) peppers. Not sure if the peppers are just growing up and then when it is heavy will fall downward?? Not sure, just thought i would ask lol. Can i bring in the pepper, tomatoe and other plants i can into the house to continue to grow? Danielle

being a mom is the best job their is and hardest too!!! lol
by Tamara from Minnesota on September 02, 2005 07:57 AM
You can, but they need to have their flowers germinated to continue to produce.

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Pea plant stem| Next thread: Pea's »
Back to Thread index