The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Four o'clock question

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: four o'clock cutings| Next thread: four o'clocks »
Back to Thread index
by comfrey on September 24, 2006 07:54 AM
My four o'clocks seem to be done for the season. I know in warmer climates they are perennial. Rosie in Tulsa says hers comes back, so I think I am in the same zone, So in case mine do come back is there anything special I should do? Like cut them back or??? It really doesn't matter I don't guess, as I have seen alot of seeds on the ground under the plants, so if nothing else it will self seed and come back.

-
 -
by Jiffymouse on September 24, 2006 10:57 AM
comfrey,

my grandmother had some that she didn't do anything to. and every year they were bigger and better than the last year.
by TulsaRose on September 24, 2006 07:02 PM
Comfrey, they will get pretty fried the first time we have a hard freeze. That's when I cut mine back to the ground. Mine are so old, I know where they will come up the following spring but you might want to mark yours.

The new growth on the plants growing from seeds will be green. Plants that come back from the tubers will have a reddish stem until they are 6" or 8" tall.

Mine are still blooming like crazy and the bigger ones I failed to stake up early in the season are flopping all over the place. [Wink] I've got to quit being so lazy about things like that. It also helps to pinch them back a couple of times early in the season so they don't get so huge.

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by angelblossom on September 24, 2006 11:50 PM
Rosie I have some fouro'clocks that are just coming up since we have simulair weather ( I think out winters are a little milder) will they survive this winter and frost?? as it gets colder should I just cover with leaves?? Right now they are only about 3 inches high.. Thanks

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by TulsaRose on September 25, 2006 02:25 AM
Dianne, they'll survive cold temps if they have developed their tubers. Since yours were started so late, I doubt they would make it over the winter as it takes about 3 or 4 months for the tuber to grow to a good size and get established. Go ahead and give them some winter protection just to see but next year, start your seeds earlier so the babies are ready to set out as soon as the ground warms in the spring. [Wink]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by comfrey on September 25, 2006 03:18 AM
Thanks for the advice and help...I am interested in seeing if they survive the winter here. When I lived in Missouri there was too much freezing weather and they never survived the cold there. No need for me to mark the area, as I made an area just for them with rocks, but that would be a good suggestion if they were in a bed with other plants.

-
 -
by Bestofour on September 25, 2006 07:38 AM
maybe you should save some of those seeds that are falling on the ground just in case you need to replant.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by comfrey on September 25, 2006 08:00 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Bestofour:
maybe you should save some of those seeds that are falling on the ground just in case you need to replant.
Oh I saved seed from them, but of course some still ends up on the ground under and around the plants. I was able to see ALOT of seed that had fallen, and I collected seed from them everyday. But I also had help from my kittens when I collected seed, they bushed against the plants, so I am sure they contributed to all that seed on the ground.

-
 -
by TulsaRose on September 25, 2006 07:12 PM
Four O'clocks can be so much fun.;0 I spotted this lone Peach colored baby plant with first blooms yesterday morning, growing smack-dab in the middle of an old, established pink plant. Maybe a busy bee pollinated one of the pink Fours with one of the yellow Fours to result in this new color? It sure is pretty, however it happened. lol!

-

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by dodge on September 25, 2006 08:47 PM
Did you get any seeds????????

Save me some.......

I have pink and yellow ones ..
dodge [thinker]

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by TulsaRose on September 25, 2006 10:12 PM
Barb, I'll watch for seeds..since this just started blooming it will be awhile. My other Fours aren't producing many seeds this year. [dunno]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by dodge on September 25, 2006 10:49 PM
Tulsa

Ok.......I have lots to trade .

Check me out .
Seeds I have to Swap..

Single poppys ..mis
Shirley poppy
Buttermilk poppy
Purple columbine
Danish cross poppy
Money plant
Giant coleus
Dalhia
Floss flower
Lambs ear
Mexican hats
Sweet basil
4 oclocks
Lantana
Kiss me over ggarden gate
Nicandia blue
Sho fly
White datura
Jewels of opar
Purple morning glory

Sush balsam
Verbena
Zinnias
Snow on the mountain.
Maltese cross
Money plant
Marrow or mallow
Love Lies bleeding
Mini zinnias
dodge

-
 -
by TulsaRose on September 26, 2006 01:44 AM
Barb, I'll keep on eye on them and hope they make seeds. I also have a slightly darker color than that...I guess more Tangerine although not totally orange. A really hard color to describe. [Wink] I'll try to capture seeds from all of them before the season is finished.

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by dodge on September 26, 2006 02:32 AM
Tulsa ROse

Yipeeeeeeeeeee

Like the color of the rose under your name.

maybe it rubbed off..ha ha

dodge

-
 -
by TulsaRose on September 26, 2006 03:02 AM
Hmmmmm, there is an orangey Tropicana Rose right behind those Fours. Ya think they've been fooling around? [Big Grin]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: four o'clock cutings| Next thread: four o'clocks »
Back to Thread index