The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Yikes! Help with Shasta Daisies

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by gailo on September 24, 2006 04:39 AM
My shasta daisies are getting ready to bloom for the first time ever. I went out to check on them and there was this white foamy substance on them. One even had a wad of dead leaves. I took the hose and washed the stuff off left were some very small bugs that were whitish green and oval shaped. Anyone know what those are? I think I must spray or something. Any advice would be appreciated.

gailo
by Tomacco on September 24, 2006 08:14 AM
Sounds like spit bugs to me. But I could be wrong [Smile]

Tomacco

That coffee was so strong, it swallowed the cream...
http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l268/Tomacco1/
by Patty S on September 24, 2006 08:21 AM
Sounds like Spittle bugs to me... I get those darned things every spring, until things dry out around here. I know that you can kill them with strong doses of Sevin, although I hate to use that stuff.

Since they get on ANYTHING GREEN (& especially like my Strawberries & my 70 foot Iris row), it's easier to wash them off with the heavy spray setting on the hose nozzle. Some of them come back, but I keep doing it a few times a day till they're gone (usually not more than a couple weeks). They can't live without being inside that mass of bubbles they make, because they dry out real fast & die.

Other than the Cucumber Beatle, Spittle bugs are just about the only insect I have more than my share of! [Mad] Good luck with your Daisies!

-
 -
by gailo on September 24, 2006 08:58 AM
Thanks for the info. It is funny, I came into the house and told my husband there was something on my daisies that looked like spit, but I didn't want to be too crude and describe it to you all like that. [Big Grin] I will keep washing them off the plants if that is all it takes. Thanks again.

gailo
by gailo on September 25, 2006 10:27 PM
I found some more of the spit bugs on my rosemary. I hope we have a cold winter.

gailo

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: