The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Powdery Mildew on my Zucs and Cucs

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Powdery mildew| Next thread: Powdery mildew on peonies »
Back to Thread index
by LMT on August 25, 2005 05:07 PM
I think it's because they're planted too close together. (The cool weather hasn't helped). Should I thin, kill or treat .. and with what?

Currently listening to: Vince Guaraldi Trio -- A Charlie Brown Christmas. Adult and contemporary but evocative of youth and innocence, a must own CD.
by Spider Lady on August 26, 2005 03:46 AM
Hi LMT...

I've noticed the same problem on my Zukes. I was getting some great Zucchini too! It has cooled down here in northern VT--to the 70's & low 80's during the day, but the nights are running down into the 50's. I noticed water lying under the leaves & wonder if that is part of the problem. I don't think they are too close together; they're just the spacing recommended. I don't know if I should just collect what fruits I can & not worry about it since it's late in the season or what. I'll look into it & get back.

Lynne, another Mozart lover. [kitty]
by Spider Lady on August 26, 2005 04:09 AM
Back again...Did a little checking on the Powdery Mildew problem & came up with a couple of interesting things:

Found out that farmers have been having success with milk...yes, moo juice...in fighting mildew on plants (including Zukes). Just spray once/wk. in a 1 part milk-9 parts water solution. They say that milk is a natural fungacide. (sp?)

Did you know that Zucchini is a native of Central & South America & dates back to 7000 BC!! I didn't.

One source did recommend moving the plants further apart.

And the mildew tends to appear where there is a high humidity. We had a very humid July, but it didn't appear until our humidity went down, so I don't know.

Let us know what happens & Good Luck!! [thumb]
by Tamara from Minnesota on August 27, 2005 09:53 AM
I just got it too all of a sudden. I use a product called Soap Shield from Garden's Alive for fungus. I sprayed heavily the other day and haven't looked at it since! Gosh I really should have gone out there today!

-
by Longy on August 27, 2005 02:23 PM
You maybe able to stave off the mildew and get a bit more fruit, but it seems to be a natural occurence toward the end of the season too. If your weather is cooling, then it's only a matter of time till they quit setting fruit anyway. Maybe start planning on preparing and using that bed for the cool weather crops.

-
The secret is the soil.
by weezie13 on September 06, 2005 09:17 AM
You can do a baking soda and water spray too
for it..

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by LMT on September 06, 2005 09:44 AM
I pulled them all out and planted a patch of radishes.

Currently listening to: Vince Guaraldi Trio -- A Charlie Brown Christmas. Adult and contemporary but evocative of youth and innocence, a must own CD.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Powdery mildew| Next thread: Powdery mildew on peonies »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: