The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Canning Brandywine {pink) Tomatoes

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: CANNING AND PRESERVING FOOD| Next thread: Canning in 1/2 pint jars »
Back to Thread index
by wedge58 on August 24, 2005 09:20 AM
Can anyone tell me if its safe to can Brandywine tomatoes, I've read that pink varities are low acid?? Can i safely can them if I add lemon juice @2tbls per quart. [dunno]
by weezie13 on August 24, 2005 09:43 AM
Hey Wedge,
I know Julianna does alot of canning..
Maybe she'll peak in here and give you some help!

Welcome by the way, to The Garden Helper's Forum,
we're very glad you found us!!!!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Sorellina on August 24, 2005 11:53 AM
Ciao wedge,

It's a common misnomer that some tomatoes are "low acid" or lower in acid than other varieties. In fact, all tomatoes are in the same pH range. The difference is in the amount of fruit sugar they contain, which is why yellow tomatoes taste "milder" than ripe-when-greens or even blacks. Yes, you can safely can Brandywine tomatoes or any other tomato for that matter, even cherries if you have the time and patience. What I advise though is to use a published recipe from a tried-and-true canning manufacturer like Ball or Bernardin or a bona fide canning cookbook. Don't try to "wing it" on the canning thing as you'll be way disappointed in the results or even get seriously sick.

Buona fortuna,
Julianna, who has put up 3 250ml jars of orange ketchup, 3 250ml jars of seed-savers rainbow ketchup (from everything that I squished seeds from the other day), 2 liters of red tomato sauce, and 2 liters of pink tomato sauce (made with Brandywine Sudduth (pink) and Marianna's Peace) today with salsa, bruschetta sauce, and pizza sauce on the agenda for tomorrow

-
by weezie13 on August 24, 2005 12:00 PM
Thank~You Julianna [kissies] [thumb] [grin]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by wedge58 on August 24, 2005 11:25 PM
Sorellina thank you for the help, I have so many Brandywine tomatoes I couldn't stand to see them go to waste. I'm going to get busy canning right now. I'm glad I found this forum and again, Thank You...... and thanks for the welcome weezie.
Wedge

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: CANNING AND PRESERVING FOOD| Next thread: Canning in 1/2 pint jars »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: